Structure of the School
The School of Visual Communication Design (hereafter VCD) is structured according mandates of Kent State University. There is a school Director, whose duties are defined by the university and are described in a subsequent section of the Handbook, “Other Department/School Guidelines.” The remaining structural entities are described below.
The Associate Director is a tenured Associate Professor or Professor who is appointed by the School Director, and will receive workload assignment for the duties carried out in this capacity. The term of service is indefinite and may be terminated by the Director in his/her sole discretion. The appointment is typically for the fall and spring semesters, with the option of a summer appointment when agreed upon and deemed necessary. The duties and responsibilities of the Associate Director shall include but are not limited to the following:
- Serving as chief administrative officer of the School in the absence of the Director.
- Advising the Director in all school matters and implementation of established procedures and policies of undergraduate programs.
- Advising the Director regarding the scheduling of classes and its impact on the curriculum.
- Assisting in development of the School's undergraduate curriculum with appropriate consultation of the Faculty Advisory Committee (hereinafter "FAC") and the Undergraduate Curriculum Committee (hereinafter “UCC”).
- Approving course substitutions, individual investigations and transfer or transient credit.
- Performing other duties and tasks as assigned or delegated by the Director.
- Associate Director also serves as Coordinator for Undergraduate Studies and shall serve as school representative on the College Undergraduate Coordinators’ Council. He/she will be responsible for implementation of established procedures and policies of the undergraduate programs, and for their effective and efficient operation.
Coordinator of Graduate Studies
The Coordinator of Graduate Studies is appointed by the Director after consultation with the Graduate Faculty. The appointment is for a three (3) year term and is renewable. The Coordinator of Graduate Studies must be a full member of the Graduate Faculty holding the rank of Associate Professor or Professor. The Coordinator of Graduate Studies chairs the Graduate Studies Committee (GSC) and oversees the operation and development of the Department's graduate programs. The Coordinator of Graduate Studies serves as the School liaison to the Division of Research and Graduate Studies. The duties of the Coordinator of Graduate Studies shall include but are not limited to:
- Overseeing and coordinating admissions into the School's graduate programs.
- Recommending to the Director, with the advice of the GSC, the awarding of graduate assistantships and teaching fellowships.
- Serving as School liaison to the College of Communication and Information, the Graduate College Council and the Division of Research and Graduate Studies.
- Reviewing performance evaluations of graduate student teaching.
- Implementing the current policies of the School's graduate programs and the current policies of the College.
- Maintaining and processing graduate student records and informing students of their standing and progress toward degrees.
- In consultation with the GSC and the School Director, facilitating the regular reviews and recommendations of Graduate Faculty Status.
- In consultation with the GSC and the School Director, initiating and coordinating changes and improvements in graduate curricula, requirements, and programs.
- Directing meetings of the GSC.
- Approving individual investigations and special topics courses at the graduate level.
Coordinator of Undergraduate Studies
Additional Administrative Appointments
Appointments to other administrative positions are made by the Director after consultation with the FAC. Appointments will be dependent upon the needs of the School, specific requirements of the position and an individual's qualifications for the position.
The School's non-academic staff includes all classified and unclassified staff positions within the School including but not limited to the Business Manager, Administrative Assistant and secretarial staff. Each position has specific duties as defined in the applicable position description.