The mission of Kent State University is to discover, create, apply and share knowledge, as well as to foster ethical and humanitarian values in the service of Ohio and the global community. As an eight-campus educational system, Kent State offers a broad array of academic programs to engage students in diverse learning environments that educate them to think critically and to expand their intellectual horizons while attaining the knowledge and skills necessary for responsible citizenship and productive careers.
Mission, Core Values, and Strategic Goals:
Kent State University is a supportive and inclusive learning community devoted to teaching excellence, first-tier scholarship and academic freedom. Together, these core values are at the center of all that we do across the eight campuses of Kent State University. To fulfill our mission, we value:
- Student success through diverse and stimulating learning environments that provide opportunities for every student to reach his/her potential;
- Access to instructional, intellectual and cultural resources for a broad constituency;
- Collaborations and partnerships with other institutions, organizations and communities to bring together diverse talents, experiences and resources;
- Discovery, creativity and innovation in scholarship and research that advance the frontiers of knowledge;
- Higher education as a powerful force for personal, social and global change;
- Academic freedom as the foundation necessary for critical inquiry in a democratic society;
- Integrity in all of our actions and communications;
- Our identity as a comprehensive, multi-campus, public research university with a distinctive heritage and a commitment to service;
- Diverse backgrounds, cultures, lifestyles and ideas; and
- Fiscal responsibility in decision making to support access to an affordable college education.
Key objectives define the direction of Kent State University. Our strategic goals and principles are to:
- Focus on those we serve, especially our students;
- Advance innovation and excellence in teaching to support student success;
- Promote excellence in research and creative endeavors;
- Engage with the world beyond our campuses;
- Build and sustain relationships and economic development opportunities with our alumni, communities and businesses that foster success for them and for Ohio; and
- Secure our financial future through efficient management, increased levels of external funding and building a strong endowment.
The Regional Campuses of Kent State University advance Northeast Ohio by providing open access to a major university education. The campuses are key intellectual resources for social diversity, cultural enrichment, and economic development.
The mission of Kent State University at Trumbull is identical to the mission of all Regional Campuses of Kent State University.