Classroom experiences will vary each semester and in many cases, pre-requisites apply. All NYC courses are 3 credit hours. We recommend you consult your academic advisor to determine how this experience will count toward your degree.
- 35011 – FASHION FORECASTING (3 Credits): Identifying trends to develop fashion forecasts. Interrelationships of forecasting promotion, public relations and the fashion media will be explored. Prerequisite: FDM 25011. Please note: Guest students who are planning to sign-up for the Fashion Forecasting class must complete the Prerequisite Confirmation Form, with required signatures.
- 35013 – FASHION ACCESSORIES (3 Credits): This course is an introduction of the fashion merchandising, promotion and sales of fashion accessories. Materials, production and resources are examined by category. Organization and operation, merchandising and marketing and industry trends of the accessories market are examined by individual category. Creative research, trend forecasting, design and sketching techniques, along with presentation methods, are explored while constructing a final group collection.
- 35070 - THE LUXURY MARKET (3 Credits): Purpose is to learn, understand and perceive the luxury market and its parameters. Students gain an understanding of the marketing power of luxury brands and the organization of a luxury products company. Prerequisite: none.
- 35080 - FASHION IN THE MEDIA (3 Credits): Analysis of key fashion magazines and in-depth examination of how they are created. Students learn the fundamentals of different forms of communication and the contributions editors, writers, stylists and photographers make toward the finished product. Exploration of how various media interrelate and contribute to the fashion industry is included. Different forms of writing, editing and interviewing as well as the roles of photography, design and styling are examined. Online outlets, television commentary, fashion advertising and Public Relations are discussed. Prerequisite: none.
- 35280- FASHION ENTREPRENEURSHIP (3 Credits): In-depth study of entrepreneurship content as applied to manufacturers and retailers of apparel, including product development, accounting and control merchandising and buying, operation and management advertising and promotion. Prerequisite: junior or senior standing.
- 45092- INTERNSHIP IN FASHION DESIGN AND MERCHANDISING (3 Credits): (Repeatable for credit) Supervised practical experience in the fashion industry. Eligibility requirements available from the school of fashion design and merchandising field studies coordinator. Prerequisites: FDM 30083, junior standing and special approval.
- 45095 ST – FASHION IMAGE (3 Credits): Fashion Image is an exciting opportunity for students to gain an insider's view of the fashion industry's editorial photo shoot. The class provides an opportunity to observe, analyze, create and examine both figurative and literal function of Fashion Imagery to develop visual aesthetics. The course combines theoretical and practical approaches in planning through individual and collective efforts.
- 45492 - NY STUDY TOUR (3 credits): ***REQUIRED**** Required of all students. Guided site visits each week to domestic or foreign fashion market, including design and fabric houses or showrooms, retail stores, buying offices and other areas of the fashion industry.