Classroom experiences will vary each semester and, in many cases, prerequisites apply. All NYC courses are 3 credit hours. We recommend that you consult your academic advisor to determine how this experience will count toward your degree.
- 35011 – FASHION FORECASTING (3 Credits): Identifying trends to develop fashion forecasts. Interrelationships of forecasting promotion, public relations and the fashion media will be explored. Prerequisite: FDM 25011. Please note: Guest students who are planning to sign-up for the Fashion Forecasting class must complete the Prerequisite Confirmation Form, with required signatures.
- 35063 - VISUAL MERCHANDISING AND DISPLAY(3 Credits): Theory and practice of merchandise presentation for the purpose of promotion and sales. In this course students will articulate the importance, organization, and function of visual merchandising including use of design principles, fixtures and lighting, effective signage, implementation of mannequins and display techniques as well as understanding budget and retail traffic patterns. Prerequisite: Fashion design or merchandising major.
- 35080 - FASHION IN THE MEDIA (3 Credits): Analysis of key fashion magazines and in-depth examination of how they are created. Students learn the fundamentals of different forms of communication and the contributions editors, writers, stylists and photographers make toward the finished product. Exploration of how various media interrelate and contribute to the fashion industry is included. Different forms of writing, editing and interviewing as well as the roles of photography, design and styling are examined. Online outlets, television commentary, fashion advertising and Public Relations are discussed. Prerequisite: none.
- 45092- INTERNSHIP IN FASHION DESIGN AND MERCHANDISING (3 Credits): (Repeatable for credit) Supervised practical experience in the fashion industry. Eligibility requirements available from the school of fashion design and merchandising field studies coordinator. Prerequisites: FDM 30083, junior standing and special approval.
- 45095 ST – FASHION IMAGE (3 Credits): Fashion Image is an exciting opportunity for students to gain an insider's view of the fashion industry's editorial photo shoot. The class provides an opportunity to observe, analyze, create and examine both figurative and literal function of Fashion Imagery to develop visual aesthetics. The course combines theoretical and practical approaches in planning through individual and collective efforts.
- 45492 - NY STUDY TOUR (3 credits): ***REQUIRED**** Required of all students. Guided site visits each week to domestic or foreign fashion market, including design and fabric houses or showrooms, retail stores, buying offices and other areas of the fashion industry.