Walk the same stone streets Michelangelo, Galileo and Dante walked. By participating in the Florence Program you can experience your own personal renaissance in the city called the Cradle of the Renaissance!
The Kent State University Florence Program gives you the opportunity to study in Italy for a full semester or summer while completing required junior-level coursework. Classes are held in the beautiful Palazzo Vettori, located in Florence's historic center, and are taught by Florence-based faculty who are multilingual and experienced in supporting students. You will also participate in trips to European and Italian fashion and textile industry sites.
Summer 2021: Required arrival date TBD. Classes are May 31 - June 24.
Fall 2021: August 26 - December 17
Spring 2022: January 17 - May 10
- A minimum 2.500 overall GPA.
- Successfully complete all sophomore (20000-level) fashion design or fashion merchandising courses prior to participating.
- Consult your academic advisor to plan for your study away experience and ensure it corresponds with your academic goals and graduation plan.
Junior-level design and merchandising courses are offered every fall and spring semesters.
All program participants are required to enroll in:
- FDM 35901 Italian Fashion and Culture (3 credits), and
- FDM 45592 Field Experience Europe (3 credits)
Classes offered during the summer are FDM 35901 Italian Fashion and Culture (3 credits) and FDM 45592 Field Experience Europe (3 credits).
You are required to enroll in these 6 credit hours of on-site Florence coursework.
FALL AND SPRING
During the fall and spring semesters, you are required to enroll in at least 12 credit hours of on-site Florence coursework.
You are required to take one Italian language class and can enroll in ITAL 15204 Basic Conversational Italian (2 credits), ITAL Elementary Italian (4 credits) or a higher level Italian class.
Required FDM courses offered during the fall and spring semesters include:
- FDM 30171 Florence Fashion Design Studio I (6 credits)
- FDM 30172 Florence Fashion Design Studio II (6 credits)
- FDM 30260 Product Development (3 credits)
- FDM 30262 FM Planning & Buying (3 credits)
All FDM courses offered are subject to enrollment and prerequisites are strictly enforced.
Other courses offered by the Kent State Florence semester program are available if they fit your schedule.
Organized through Kent State, you will stay in apartments throughout Florence’s historic city center. Apartments are fully furnished with bed linens, a kitchen, washing machine, television, and Wi-Fi. You will share the unit with two to eight other students in the program, and it is possible to submit a roommate request.
Program costs include, but are not limited to:
Owed to Kent State University:
|Summer||Fall and Spring|
|Kent State Tuition||In-state & Out-of-state Cohort rates|
Study Tour Field Trip Course Fee
(lodging, transportation, etc.)
|Airfare (group flight)||$1,800||$1,650|
|International Health Insurance||$65||$235|
Out-of-pocket expenses (estimated):
|Office of Global Education Application Fee||$60|
|Airfare (if not participating in group travel)||$2,000|
|Food||$500 - $1,200|
|Student VISA/Residence Permit (fall/spring only)||$200|
|Personal/Miscellaneous Expenses||$500 - $1,500|
Visit www.kent.edu/fashion/scholarships for a complete list of scholarship opportunities related to the Florence program.
Notable scholarships include:
- Charles and Betsy Mangin Endowed Scholarship for International Study
- Chester R. Edwards Endowed Fashion Scholarship
- Judith and Christopher Everett Endowed Scholarship for Fashion Merchandising
- Karen and Kenneth Conley Endowed Fashion Award for International Study or Internship for Fashion Design
- Karen and Kenneth Conley Endowed Fashion Award for International Study or Internship for Fashion Merchandising
- Michael and Kelly Phillips Design Scholarship for Study Abroad in Florence
Study Away Pre-Approval Application: The online application is available September 15 - December 15, 2020.
Commitment Contract: Eligible students will receive access to the online Commitment Contract in early January. Submit your contract as soon as possible. Students are accepted on a first-come, first-served basis.
Program Fee (nonrefundable/nontransferable):
|Summer 2021 Deposit||$500||Due Feb. 15, 2021|
|Fall 2022 Deposit||$1,500||Due March 1, 2021|
|Spring 2022 Deposit||$1,500||Due July 1, 2021|
- School of Fashion: www.kent.edu/fashion/study-away
- Office of Global Education: https://www.kent.edu/globaleducation
- Florence Kent State Tuition Information: www.kent.edu/tuition
- Kent State Florence: www.kent.edu/Florence
Dr. Kim Hahn
Fashion School Study Away Programs Coordinator
218A Rockwell Hall FS
Office of Global Education