Walk the same stone streets Michelangelo, Galileo, and Dante walked and experience your own personal renaissance in the city called the Cradle of the Renaissance by participating in the Kent State University Florence Program!
The Kent State University Florence Program provides fashion design and merchandising students the opportunity to study abroad for a full semester or summer while completing junior-level required coursework. Classes are held in the beautiful Palazzo Vettori, located in the historic center of Florence. Courses are taught by multilingual Florence-based faculty; who are full-time Kent State staff, experienced and well-versed in supporting student needs. The program includes field trips to European and Italian fashion and textile industry-specific sites.
Summer 2020: May 27 - June 27
Fall 2020: August 27 - December 20
Spring 2021: January 19 - May 12
- A minimum 2.500 overall GPA.
- Successfully complete all sophomore (20000-level) fashion design or fashion merchandising courses prior to participating.
- Consult your academic advisor to plan for your study away experience and ensure it corresponds with your academic goals and graduation plan.
Junior-level design and merchandising courses are offered every summer, fall and spring semesters.
All program participants are required to enroll in:
- FDM 35901 Italian Fashion and Culture (3 credits), and
- FDM 45592 Field Experience Europe (3 credits)
During the summer semester, all students are required to enroll in at least 6 credit hours of on-site Florence coursework.
FALL AND SPRING
During the fall and spring semesters, all students are required to enroll in at least 12 credit hours of on-site Florence coursework. In addition to these courses, fashion design and merchandising majors are required to complete:
- ITAL 15204 Basic Conversational Italian (2 credits)
Required FDM courses offered during the fall and spring semesters typically include:
- FDM 30171 Florence Fashion Design Studio I (6 credits)
- FDM 30172 Florence Fashion Design Studio II (6 credits)
- FDM 30260 Product Development (3 credits)
- FDM 30262 FM Planning & Buying (3 credits)
All fashion courses offered are subject to enrollment, and prerequisites are strictly enforced.
Other courses offered by the general Kent State Florence semester program are available to you, if they fit your schedule.
Organized through Kent State, students stay in apartments throughout Florence’s historic city center. Apartments are fully furnished with bed linens, a kitchen, washing machine, television, and Wi-Fi. Apartments are shared with two to eight other students in the program, and it is possible to submit a roommate request.
Program costs include, but are not limited to:
Owed to Kent State University:
|Summer||Fall and Spring|
|Kent State Tuition||(in-state & out-of-state rates)|
Study Tour Field Trip Course Fee
(lodging, transportation, etc.)
|Airfare (group flight)||$1,800||$1,800|
|International Health Insurance||$65||$230|
Out-of-pocket expenses (estimated):
|Office of Global Education Application Fee||$60|
|Airfare (if not participating in group travel)||$2,000|
|Student VISA/Residence Permit (fall/spring only)||$100|
Visit www.kent.edu/fashion/scholarships for a complete list of scholarship opportunities related to the Florence program.
Notable scholarships include:
- Charles and Betsy Mangin Endowed Scholarship for International Study
- Chester R. Edwards Endowed Fashion Scholarship
- Judith and Christopher Everett Endowed Scholarship for Fashion Merchandising
- Karen and Kenneth Conley Endowed Fashion Award for International Study or Internship for Fashion Design
- Karen and Kenneth Conley Endowed Fashion Award for International Study or Internship for Fashion Merchandising
- Michael and Kelly Phillips Design Scholarship for Study Abroad in Florence
Study Away Pre-Approval Application: The online application is available September 15 - December 15, 2019.
Commitment Contract: Eligible students will receive access to the online Commitment Contract in early January. Submit your contract as soon as possible. Students are accepted on a first-come, first-served basis.
Program Fee (nonrefundable/nontransferable):
|Summer 2020 Deposit||$500||Due Feb. 1, 2020|
|Fall 2020 Deposit||$1,500||Due Mar. 1, 2020|
|Spring 2021 Deposit||$1,500||Due Jul. 1, 2020|
- The Fashion School: www.kent.edu/fashion/study-away
- Office of Global Education: www.kent.edu
- Florence Kent State Tuition Information: www.kent.edu/tuition
Dr. Kim Hahn
Fashion School Study Away Programs Coordinator
218C Rockwell Hall FS
Office of Global Education