New Update from the Director
Dear School of Fashion Students, Faculty, Staff and Supporters,
As we move forward from Governor DeWine’s announcement, we advise that Kent State is reducing on-campus operations until further notice. This includes the School of Fashion Design and Merchandising.
Only a limited number of employees will be asked to report to their campus. Areas requiring at least a minimal physical presence on campus include health services, public safety, information technology, residence services, dining services, mail services, facilities and a few research laboratories. Units designated for on-campus service will operate with limited staff in rotation. From today, most buildings will be locked.
Faculty and staff will find additional information, including information about technology for working remotely, at Keep On Working or Kent State’s coronavirus information page. For questions regarding COVID-19, call 1-833-4ASKODH or Kent City Health Department at 330-678-8109.
We urge all Kent State community members to sign up for Flash ALERTS to receive crisis communications through the emergency text system.
We must all do our part to slow the spread of the virus and decrease the surge on our health system. Please heed the recommendations of our governor and state health officials by remaining at home, going out only when necessary and adhering to social distancing practices.
Anyone who believes they have been in close contact (within approximately 6 feet for a prolonged period of time) with someone who has tested positive for COVID-19 should self-isolate. If you have had close contact with a person with COVID-19 and develop symptoms such as fever (temperature greater than 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit), cough or difficulty with breathing, seek medical advice by calling your local health provider or local health department. Also, if you feel you need emergency care, call ahead to the emergency room to notify them of your recent exposure to someone who has tested positive for COVID-19.
Continue to Take Preventative Measures
It is imperative that we take steps to prevent the spread of COVID-19:
- Avoid large gatherings and follow social distancing recommendations of 3-6 feet.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer if soap and water are not available.
- Avoid touching your mouth, nose and eyes.
- Cover coughs and sneezes with your arm or a tissue.
- Avoid exposure to others who are sick.
- Stay home while you are ill (except to visit a healthcare professional) and avoid close contact with others.
- Get adequate sleep and eat well-balanced meals to ensure a healthy immune system.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
Additional information can be found here:
The health and safety of our Kent State School of Fashion community is of the highest importance. During this challenging time, let’s all remember to show kindness and respect in all we do.
Louise Valentine, PhD
Professor | Director of Fashion