In Review: "Reverie," The 2017 Fashion Show
The Fashion School at Kent State University presented the 34th annual fashion show at Rockwell Hall on April 28 and 329, 2017. Here are just a few notable facts about this year's show, "FS²: Reverie":
The show comprised of 87 students’ designs. The work spanned casualwear, eveningwear, sportswear and children’s wear, with a special category for sustainable design. An outside panel of industry critics and jurors selected the work to appear in the show. The entire show involved a total of 277 people, including designers, production team, models, dressers and ushers.
A total of $14,000 in awards was presented to the student designers who created the winning collections and looks. The “Best in Show” award ($1,500) sponsored by Michael Kors, went to senior design student Sarah Kauffman. (See below for the complete list of award winners.) Senior Sarah Johnson was chosen to represent Kent State University at the Supima Design Competition during New York Fashion Week this past September followed by a trip to Paris Fashion Week where her collection was also shown.
- Flat Pattern Award (Sponsored by Andrea Senich) Winner: Katie Crum
- Draping Award (Sponsored by Carol and Phil Cartwright) Winner: Jessica Williams
- Children’s Wear Award (Sponsored by Weissman Design for Dance (Hope Brick) Winner: Stephanie Decker and Sarah Tothero
- Knitwear Design Award (Sponsored by Dan and Andrea Steger) Winner Maame Amoah
- Sustainable Practices Award (Sponsored by Karen and Ken Conley) Winner: Alana Lizun
- Conceptual Award (Sponsored by Jerry and Christie Payto) Winner: Sarah Johnson
- Eveningwear Award (Sponsored by Kelly and Michael Phillips) Winner: Julien Remi Nguyen
- Sportwear Award (Sponsored by KSU Athletics) Winner: Anna Rumbert
- TechstyleLAB Award (Sponsored by Ken Robinson) Winners: Katrynn Seeburger and Iman Hooker
- JCPenney Innovation Award (Sponsored by Geoffrey Henning) Winner: Jaanai Jones
- SuedeSAYS Award (Sponsored by Suede) Winner: Xiaolong Zhao
- Most Market Ready Award (Sponsored by Dillards, Inc.) Winner: Audrey Rothers
- Best in Show Award (Sponsored by Michael Kors, Inc.) Winner Sarah Kauffman
The Fashion School inducted Kent State alumnus, Mr. Don Witkowski into our Fashion School Hall of Fame! Don is the President of the Men’s division at Michael Kors, where he oversees the global expansion of the Michael Kors men’s business. He is an industry-recognized executive with over 25 years of experiencein fashion. Through his leadership and passion for merchandising, he has built and guided several of the world’s largest retail & wholesale enterprises. Mr. Witkowski is a native of Cleveland, Ohio and was a Psychology major at Kent State University.
Previous inductees in the Hall of Fame include Estee Lauder, Elsa Klensch, Allen Questrom, Michael Weiss, Ralph Rucci, Oscar de la Renta, Leonardo Ferragamo, Dana Buchman, Tom Cole (former Macy’s CAO and Kent State alumnus) and Josie Natori.
Initially displayed in the school’s Fashion Library during “Reverie” portfolios by graduating design and merchandising students will be shown at an upcoming industry portfolio showcase in New York. The annual event, hosted by the Fashion School’s NYC Studio, offers graduating seniors a chance to network with industry leaders and Fashion School alumni.
"FS²: Reverie" Video