Paris American Academy
Experience one of the world's fashion capitals, appreciate where fashion came from and see where fashion is going when you participate in the Fashion School's Paris American Academy Program!
During the summer, fashion design and merchandising students can earn 6 Kent State University credits while taking approved Fashion School courses at the Paris American Academy (PAA), in Paris, France. While in Paris, students focus on one of 3 specializations: Couture Techniques, Design Profess, or Fashion Merchandising and Communication. The month-long program includes field trips, on-site experiences, hands-on workshops, lectures and activities designed to expand an understanding of fashion. Students also have the opportunity to attend and assist backstage at fashion week shows.
SUMMER 2020 PROGRAM DATES
Session I: June 3 - June 29
Session II: July 4 - July 30
- Exact program dates vary, dependent upon PAA's academic calendar.
- A minimum 2.500 overall GPA.
- Successfully complete all sophomore (20000-level) fashion design or fashion merchandising courses prior to participating.
- Consult with your academic advisor to plan for your study away experience and ensure it corresponds with your academic goals and graduation plan.
The Paris American Academy Program allows students to complete 6 credit hours of FDM elective courses:
Fashion Merchandising and Communication Specialization:
- FDM 35902 European Fashion Marketing (3 credits)
- FDM 35903 European Fashion Marketing Seminar (3 credits)
Fashion Design Specialization:
- FDM 35904 European Fashion Design (3 credits)
- FDM 35905 European Fashion Design Seminar (3 credits)
Housing is arranged by the Paris American Academy and is located within one mile of the school in Paris' Latin Quarter. Students may choose between a shared, private, furnished apartment, a shared three-star hotel twin room, or a private three-star hotel single room.
Program costs include, but are not limited to:
Owed to Kent State University:
|Kent State Tuition||
(in-state & out-of-state rates)
|International Health Insurance||$196|
Out-of-pocket expenses (estimated):
|Office of Global Education Application Fee||$60|
|Housing - see rates below||$2,400 - $5,800|
- Shared, private, furnished apartment: $2,400
- Shared, three-star hotel, twin room: $3,400
- Three-star hotel, single room: $5,800
Through the generous support of the Robert Broadbent Endowed Scholarship, the Fashion School is pleased to offer one $3,000 merit-based scholarship to apply toward the Kent State Fashion School PAA Program. For further details and the scholarship application, visit www.kent.edu/fashion/scholarships.
Due: Monday, January 27, 2020 by 5 p.m.
Application: One page essay and resume
Majors Eligible: Design and Merchandising
Class Standing Eligible: Junior and Senior who has at least one remaining semester to return to KSU after the PAA program is completed.
Study Away Pre-Approval Application: The online application is available September 15 - December 15, 2019.
Commitment Contract: Eligible students will receive access to the online Commitment Contract in early January. Submit your contract as soon as possible. Students are accepted on a first-come, first-serve basis.
Program Fee (nonrefundable/nontransferable)
|Summer 2020 Deposit||$1,500||DUE February 1, 2019|
Dr. Kim Hahn
Fashion School Study Away Programs Coordinator
218C Rockwell Hall
Office of Global Education