Chanjuan Chen is a tenure-track assistant professor at the Kent State University Fashion School. She has a Bachelor of Engineering in fashion design from the Xiamen University of Technology and a Master of Fine Arts in design, with a concentration in fashion design, from the University of North Texas. Chen teaches various fashion design studio courses including BFA Senior Fashion Design Thesis and Sustainable Studio Applications, as well as Fashion Technology related courses such as Fashion Technology Applications. In addition to teaching, she also has industry experience working as a fashion designer, technical designer, and graphic designer in both China and the United States.
Chen’s research focuses on developing new ways to infuse concepts of fashion sustainability into culturally inspired designs. She also incorporates her research into teaching methods that instill sustainable concepts in higher education. Her creative scholarship explores different sustainable design practices for the fashion industry such as transformable garments and zero-waste designs. Her designs have been recognized by numerous academic and professional organizations and were recently honored with the Educators for Socially Responsible Apparel Practices Award for Sustainable Design at both the 2016 and 2017 conferences of the International Textile and Apparel Association (ITAA). Her research presentations and design works have also been presented nationally and internationally in England, Canada, China, and South Korea. She was recently awarded the Outstanding New Faculty Research and Scholarship Award from the University Research Council at Kent State University. Chen's research in sustainable fashion, participation in professional organizations, and work alongside industry partners, have afforded her a strong understanding of the technical and professional aspects of the industry.
Selected International and National Juried Exhibitions
- Rebirth II.Design Exhibition, International Textile and Apparel Association (ITAA) Annual Conference, St Petersburg, Florida. November 16-17, 2017. Acceptance rate: 37%.
- The Black Peacock.The Costume Society of America’s 43rd Annual Symposium. Portland, Maine. May 26- June 4, 2017.
- Intertwined Happiness. Wearable Expressions 7th International Juried Exhibition, Palos Verdes Art Center, Rancho Palos Verdes, CA, USA. February 10- April 16, 2017. Co-designer: Linda Ohrn-McDaniel.
- Rebirth.Design Exhibition, ITAA Annual Conference, Vancouver, BC, Canada, November 8-12, 2016. Acceptance rate: 43%.
- Two Sides of a Woman. New Fibers 2016, the Fiber Arts Network of Michigan, Ypsilanti, Michigan, October 26- December 7, 2016.
- A Colorful Day, American Association of Family & Consumer Sciences (AAFCS) 107th Annual Conference &Expo, Design Showcase & Exhibition, Bellevue, WA, June 22-25, 2016.
- Natural Flow, Dawn, and Butterflies on the Shoulder. Live Fashion Show, International Foundation of Fashion Technology Institutes (IFFTI) Annual Conference, Beijing, China. March 21- 25, 2016. Acceptance rate: 65%.
- Butterflies on the Shoulder. Celebrating the Unique, Mounted Design Exhibition, ITAA Annual Conference, Santa Fe, NM, November 2015. Acceptance rate: 37.5%.
Selected Awards, Honors and Grants
- Outstanding New Faculty Research and Scholarship Award, University Research Council and the Division of Research and Sponsored Programs, Kent State University. April 2018. Awarded $1000.
- IFFTI Mobility Initiative for Sustainability, IFFTI Mobility Faculty Exchange Grant, International Foundation of Fashion Technology Institutes. January 2018. Funded $2000.
- 2018 Summer Research and Creative Activity Grant, University Research Council, Kent State University. December 2017. Funded $10,000.
- Educators for Socially Responsible Apparel Practices Award for Sustainable Design- Professional Level awarded for Rebirth II. Sponsored by ESRAP, presented at the ITAA annual conference, St. Petersburg, Florida. November 2017. Certificate.
- Symbiosis, Fashion and Art.Catalyst Grant interdisciplinary project for the Academic Year 2017/18. College of the Arts, Kent State University. October 2017. Funded $5000.
- Educators for Socially Responsible Apparel Practices Award for Sustainable Design- Professional Level awarded for Rebirth. Sponsored by ESRAP, presented at the ITAA annual conference, Vancouver, BC, Canada, November 2016. Certificate.
- Best of Show awarded, AAFCS Design Showcase & Exhibition, Bellevue, WA, June 2016. Certificate.
Chanjuan Chen is interested in working with Graduate Students on topics such as exploring sustainable design practices, fashion technology applications, cultural studies in fashion, and innovative teaching methods in higher education.