New Freshman Financial Aid Checklist
EXPLORE AND APPLY TO KENT STATE UNIVERSITY
- Apply for admission to Kent State University by Feb. 1 to be considered for incoming freshman scholarships.
- Begin a comprehensive scholarship search using these tools:
- Review the Student Financial Aid website to gain basic knowledge of financial aid.
- Use the FAFSA4caster to see what types of federal financial aid you may be eligible to receive.
- Estimate your out-of-pocket expenses by using the Kent State Net Price Calculator.
- View current direct costs to attend Kent State University, which include:
- Consider attending a financial aid workshop or high school financial aid presentation.
- Create a FSA ID (Federal Student Aid ID). If the student is dependent, at least one parent must also apply. The FSA ID will serve as an electronic signature on the FAFSA.
APPLY FOR FINANCIAL AID
- File the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to be considered for federal and state financial aid programs. Students are encouraged to file as soon as possible beginning Oct. 1, for early FAFSA processing and awarding. To ensure maximum eligibility, complete the FAFSA no later than Feb. 1.
- View a collection of helpful videos on the FAFSA and financial aid.
- View any outstanding financial aid requirements on FlashLine.
- If requested, complete the verification process prior to receiving federal financial aid.
- If your information submitted on the FAFSA is no longer an accurate representation of your family's current financial situation, consider completing a special circumstance application.
VIEW YOUR FINANCIAL AID AWARDS
- Review your checklist in FlashLine. Keep track of the steps you need to complete to be ready for the academic year.
- Your checklist can be found by selecting "My Lists" on the top menu bar.
- Review Terms and Conditions of receiving financial aid on FlashLine.
- View an accept any scholarships on FlashLine.
- Report outside scholarships, awards and other tuition assistance you are bringing to Kent State University on the Resources/Additional Information tab in FlashLine. Click the link for instructions.
- Begin viewing your financial aid awarded as a result of the FAFSA beginning mid-February in FlashLine.
- Check your Kent State email address regularly for important information from the One Stop for Student Services.
- New Kent Freshman: register for Destination Kent State orientation.
- New Freshman that plan to attend in the summer:
- Contact the Admissions Office to update your Kent State University start term to summer.
- Review enrollment plan information and complete enrollment plans on the "Resource/Additional Information" tab in FlashLine.
- If you plan to enroll at Kent State University for summer semester and would like to use your financial aid, view more information.
TAKE ACTION ON YOUR FINANCIAL AID AWARDS
- Loans are funds that must be repaid; only borrow what you need after careful consideration. If borrowing federal student loans:
- View information about direct loan interest rates and repayment of federal loans.
- Students must accept, decline or reduce federal loans via FlashLine.
- First-time borrowers: Sign the Master Promissory Note and complete Entrance Loan Counseling
- Returning students can monitor federal loan borrowing, view loan history and find servicer information on the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS).
- Parents who plan to borrow can apply for the Federal Direct PLUS Loan. Visit our PLUS Loan page for application availability dates.
- If borrowing a private/alternative student loan, compare lender options and apply through FastChoice, or through an education lender of your choice.
REVIEW YOUR FINAL STEPS
- Attend Destination Kent State orientation.
- Notification of your invoice will be sent to you by email in July for fall semester and in December for spring semester. The invoice will list your actual expenses as of that day.
- Visit the One Stop website for detailed billing, payment and due date information.
- Review information about authorization of Title IV aid under the Financial Aid section of FlashLine.
- Choose your student refund selection after receiving your BankMobile Welcome packet in the mail.