"Around the World" Music Series
Standing Rock Cultural Arts is pleased to announce the third season (2017-2018) of its "Around the World" Music Series, which will once again feature an array of outstanding performers from a wide variety of cultures. All performances take place at the North Water Street Gallery (located at 300 North Water Street, Suite H in downtown Kent, Ohio) and start at 8:00 p.m., preceded by 7:30 p.m. meet-and-greet featuring refreshments. 10 dollar suggested donation (or pay what you can).
- Saturday, September 23, 2017 - AppalAsia (Pittsburgh-based trio merging the musical traditions of China and the Appalachian Mountains, using erhu, lap dulcimer, and banjo)
- Saturday, October 14, 2017 - Baba David Coleman and friends(music, songs, and stories by one of the pioneers of African and Afro-Caribbean drumming in the U.S.)
- Saturday, October 28, 2017 - 15th annual Día de Muertos celebration featuring Mariachi Santa Cecilia (4-piece mariachi band performing traditional and popular music of Mexico)
- Saturday, November 11, 2017 - Bill Crouse (songs, drumming, dances, and stories of the Seneca Nation, the largest of the Six Nations of the Haudenosaunee, or Iroquois Confederacy)
- Saturday, January 13, 2018 - Oleh Mahlay (songs and history of the 60-string bandura, a zither-like instrument that has been called "The Soul of Ukraine")
- Saturday, June 23, 2018 - Samuel Salsbury (Indian classical music performed on the rich-toned sarangi, a bowed instrument with 39 strings, with tabla accompaniment)