MCED Required Tests
Admission to Advanced Study
All students must complete Praxis CORE and meet the minimum required scores or display equivalent competency on the ACT or SAT exams in order to be admitted to Advanced Study. Please speak with your Academic Advisor if you are not sure whether you are required to take Praxis CORE. Kent State University's Recipient Code is R1367.
Plan to spend time studying and preparing for the Praxis CORE assessments. The Kent State University College of Education, Health & Human Services (EHHS) has several resources available to prepare for Praxis CORE.
Praxis CORE can be completed at area Prometric Candidate Services (1-800-853-6773). Testing is by appointment, reservations can be made by calling the testing site directly or completing the Praxis CORE online registration.
Local Prometric Candidate Services Sites
- Case Western Reserve University: 216-368-1030
- Mentor: 440-255-0055
- Niles: 330-652-1886
- Seven Hills: 216-520-3162
- Strongsville: 440-238-0530
- Stow: 330-922-5587
Score reports for the Praxis CORE are mailed 2-3 weeks after the individual test date. Students should plan to take the exam with enough time for the results to be received and processed by Kent State University before the application to Advanced Study.
Praxis CORE Assessments
- Reading (Test Code 5712) Measures the student's ability to understand, analyze, and evaluate written messages. Students will have 85 minutes to complete 56 multiple choice questions based on a variety of subject areas.
- Writing (Test Code 5722) Tests the ability to use grammar and language correctly and to effectively communicate a message in writing. Students will complete a section of 40 multiple choice questions (time limit 40 minutes) and an essay section requiring two writing samples (time limit 60 minutes).
- Mathematics (Test Code 5732) Assesses the student's ability to solve problems and reason in a quantitative context. Students will have 85 minutes to answer 56 multiple choice questions.
- Combined (Test Code 5751) Allows students who need to complete all three of the Praxis CORE exams (Reading, Writing, and Mathematics) to register for one rather than three tests.