Faculty are required to advise and counsel undergraduate and graduate students on academic matters. Individual faculty members are responsible for providing academic counseling to undergraduate students assigned to them and to other undergraduate students who seek such advice, as needed.

Graduate advising is initially conducted by the Graduate Coordinator for entering graduate students and then by the student’s “major professor” and thesis/dissertation committee members once selected or appointed. The advisor provides information on academic matters, course scheduling, and matters related to the interaction of the student with other members of the Department. In order to assist in student advising, faculty members should maintain current knowledge of University, College, and Department programs and requirements.