Faculty Grievance and Appeal Procedures

1. 1.  Informal Procedure

It is policy that grievances be resolved at the lowest possible level, within the Department. It should be noted that an attempt at informal resolution, through consultation of the faculty member with the Departmental Chairperson, is required before the filing of a contractual grievance. Complaints about matters other than those of a contractual nature should be resolved within the Department. Faculty members who believe that they are being treated unfairly should consult with the Department Chairperson. The Chair may seek the advice and recommendation of individual faculty members or faculty advisory groups in seeking informal resolution of a dispute or complaint.

2.  Formal Procedure

Formal procedures for addressing grievances affecting the terms and conditions of employment of faculty are described in the applicable Collective Bargaining Agreement. Disputes involving substantive academic judgments are subject to a separate academic appeals process governed by the applicable Collective Bargaining Agreement.

Faculty grievances that are not directly related to the terms or conditions of employment and are not academic appeals are appropriately addressed within the Department, whenever possible. The Chair and/or faculty members will initiate an informal dialogue with all parties involved in a dispute and strive to reach a resolution agreeable to all parties.