Bachelor of Arts
Graduates of the Bachelor of Arts program in Geology have excellent opportunities for employment in a wide variety of careers where an understanding of natural science is useful or critical in success. Geology can be a strong background for advanced study or career development in areas such as business, city management, regional development, planning, law, journalism, and science writing.
The B.A. requirements include courses concerning minerals, rocks, fossils and field mapping, among others. These courses are supplemented by courses such as introductory chemistry, biology, and mathematics. Download the Roadmap to the B.A. in Geology for the official reference to the degree program.
For additional information about our undergraduate program, please contact an undergraduate advisor in Geology.
- At least 42 semester credits must be taken in upper division courses (30000-level and above).
- At least 36 semester credits must be taken in Kent CORE courses, and these should be completed during the first 64 credits of enrollment.
- At least 121 semester credits of approved coursework must be completed successfully.
- GEOL 21062 Environmental Earth Sciences or GEOL 21080 All About the Oceans may be substituted for GEOL 11040 with Departmental permission.
- Does not requires completion of GEOL 41092, Summer Field Camp, although students are encouraged to attend.
- A 2.00 cumulative grade-point average both overall and in the major, is necessary to graduate.
|Course Number||Course Title||Credits|
|GEOL 11040||How the Earth Works||3|
|GEOL 11041||How the Earth Works Lab||1|
|GEOL 11042||Earth and Life through Time||3|
|GEOL 11043||Earth and Life through Time Lab||1|
|GEOL 23063||Earth Materials I||4|
|GEOL 31070||Earth Materials II||4|
|GEOL 34061||Invertebrate Paleontology||4|
|GEOL 22000||Intro to Geology Seminar||1|
|and 15 GEOL elective credits||15|
|MATH 11010||Algebra for Calculus||3|
|CHEM 10060||General Chemistry I||4|
|CHEM 10062||General Chemistry Lab||1|
|BSCI 10110 or
|Biological Diversity (4) or
Life on Planet Earth (3)