My research focuses on watershed hydrology, groundwater-surface water interactions, and landscape evolution in human-altered and volcanic landscapes. Current projects focus on green infrastructure, stormwater management, and stream restoration. Much of my research is field-based, but my group also makes use of stable isotope analyses, geographic information systems (GIS), and hydrologic modeling. I have expertise in fluvial geomorphology and landscape evolution, which implicitly and explicitly informs my research. For more information, please see my website.
- Costello, D., Hartung, E.W., Stoll, J.T., and Jefferson, A.J., 2020, Bioretention cell age and construction style influence stormwater pollutant dynamics. Science of the Total Environment, 712: 135597, doi:10.1016/j.scitotenv.2019.135597
- Blauch, G. and Jefferson, A.J., 2019., If a tree falls in an urban stream, does it stick around? Mobility, characteristics, and geomorphic ...wood in urban streams in northeastern Ohio, USA., Geomorphology. 337: 1-14.
- Scarlett, R., McMillan, S.K., Bell, C.D., Clinton, S.M., Jefferson, A.J., and Rao, S. 2019. Influence of Stormwater Control Measures on Water Quality at Nested Sites in a Small Suburban Watershed. Urban Water Journal. doi:10.1080/1573062X.2019.1579347
- Jefferson, A.J., Kenney, M., Hill, T., and Selin, N. 2018. Universities Can Lead the Way Supporting Engaged Geoscientsts. Eos. 99, doi:10.1029/2018EO111567
- Singer, D.M., Jefferson, A.J., Traub, E.L., and Perdrial, N. 2018. Mineralogical and geochemical variation in stream sediments impacted by acid mine drainage is related to hydro-geomorphic setting. Elementa: Science of the Anthropocene. 6(1): 31.
- Jefferson, A.J., Bhaskar, A., Fanelli, R., Hopkins, K.G., Avellaneda, P.M., and McMillan, S.K. 2017. Stormwater management network effectiveness and implications for urban watershed function: a critical review. Hydrological Processes. 31 (23): 4056–408
- Avellaneda, P.M., Jefferson, A.J., Grieser, J.M., and Bush, S.A., 2017. Simulation of the cumulative hydrological response to green infrastructure. Water Resources Research. 53, doi:10.1002/2016WR019836.
- Bell, C.D., McMillan, S.K., Clinton, S.M., and Jefferson, A.J., 2017. Characterizing the Effects of Stormwater Mitigation on Nutrient Export and Stream Concentrations. Environmental Management. 59: 604
- Thapaliya, D., Hellwig, E.J., Kadariya, J., Grenier, D., Jefferson, A.J., Dalman, M., Kennedy, K., DiPerna, M., Orihill, A., Taha, M., Smith, T.C. 2017. Prevalence and characterization of Staphylococcus.... GeoHealth. 1:
- 10. Bell, C.D., McMillan, S.K., Clinton, S.M., and Jefferson, A.J. 2016. Hydrologic response to stormwater control measures in urban watersheds. Journal of Hydrology. 541: 1488-1500. doi: 10.1016/j.jhydrol.2016.08.049
- Kent State University Student Accessibility Services, May 2019
- “Mothers, Mentors, and Muses” award, Kent State University Women’s Center, April 2019
- Leshner Leadership Institute Public Engagement Fellow, American Association for the Advancement of Science, 2016-2017
- Inclusion in the National Association of Geoscience Teachers' On the Cutting Edge Exemplary Teaching Activity collection, based on review of the “Take A Hike Assignment”, 2013
- First prize poster: "Hands-on Experiences with Stable Isotopes in the Geosciences Curriculum", 2014, Kent State University 21st Annual Conference Celebrating Teaching