My research focuses on watershed hydrology, groundwater-surface water interactions, hydrogeomorphology, and the effects of disturbances (climatic and land-use change) on hydrologic systems. Much of my research is field-based, but I also make use of stable isotope analyses, geographic information systems (GIS), and modeling. For more information, please see my website.
Scholarly, Creative & Professional Activities
- Jefferson, A., Wegman, K., and Chin, A. 2013. Geomorphology of the Anthropocene: Understanding The Surficial Legacy of Past and Present Human Activities, Anthropocene , 2: 1-3, doi:10.1016/j.ancene.2013.10.005.
- Freyer, J.B. and Jefferson, A., 2013. An exception to island loss in the engineered Upper Mississippi River: history of land growth in Pool 6 and implications for restoration, Anthropocene., 2: 65-75, doi:10.1016/j.ancene.2013.10.004.
- Jefferson, A., Ferrier, K., Perron, J.T., and Ramalho, R. in press. Controls on the hydrological landscape evolution of shield volcanoes and volcanic ocean islands, in The Galapágos: A Natural Laboratory for the Earth Sciences, AGU Monograph Series.
- Jefferson, A. and McGee, R.W. 2012. Channel network extent in the context of historical land use, flow generation processes, and landscape evolution in the North Carolina Piedmont, Earth Surface Processes and Landforms, 38(6): 601-613, doi: 10.1002/esp.3308
- Jefferson, A. 2011. Seasonal versus transient snow and the elevation dependence of climate sensitivity in maritime mountainous regions, Geophysical Research Letters, 38, L16402, doi:10.1029/2011GL048346.
- Nolin, A., Phillippe, J., Jefferson, A., and Lewis, S. 2010. Present and future contributions of glacier melt to summer flows in a Pacific Northwest watershed, Water Resources Research, W12509, doi:10.1029/2009WR008968.
- O’Driscoll, M., Clinton, S., Jefferson, A., Manda, A., and McMillan S. 2010. Urbanization Effects on Watershed Hydrology and In-Stream Processes in the Southern United States, Water, 3 (2), 605-648. (Invited review article)
- Jefferson, A.J., Hannula, K.A., Campbell, P.B., & Franks, S.E., 2010, The Internet as a resource and support network for diverse geoscientists, GSA Today, 20 (9), 59-61.
- Jefferson, A., Grant, G., Lancaster, S., and Lewis, S., 2010, Sequence and timescale of drainage development on a permeable basaltic landscape, Earth Surface Processes and Landforms, 35(7): 803-816.
- Jefferson, A., Nolin, A., Lewis, S., and Tague, C., 2008. Hydrogeologic controls on streamflow sensitivity to climatic variability, Hydrological Processes. 22: 4371–4385.
- Tague, C., Grant, G., Farrell, M., Choate, J., and Jefferson, A., 2008, Deep groundwater mediates streamflow response to climate warming in the Oregon Cascades, Climatic Change 86:189-210.
- Jefferson, A., Grant, G., and Rose, T., 2006, The influence of volcanic history on groundwater patterns on the west slope of the Oregon High Cascades, Water Resources Research, 42, W12411, doi:10.1029/2005WR004812.