My primary interests are in the overall field of structural geology, with emphasis on field mapping in the western United States. Presently I am working on analyzing structures and volcanism related to the growth of Miocene laccoliths in southwest Utah. I use a variety of field methods, including detailed geologic mapping, to describe local and regional structures and to decipher the evolution of deformational events. A number of mapping projects are conducted in collaboration with government agencies such as the US Geological Survey and the Utah Geological Survey.
- Rowley, P.D., Biek, R.F., Hacker, D.B., et. al., in press, Interim geologic map of the southwestern quarter of the Beaver 30' x 60' quadrangle, Beaver, Iron, and Garfield Counties: Utah Geological Survey Open-File Report, scale 1:100,000
- Hacker, D.B., et.al., (2017), Catastrophic Collapse Features in Volcanic Terrains: Styles and Links to Subvolcanic Magma Systems:..., Physical Geology of Shallow Magmatic Systems: Advances in Volcanology Series. Springer International Publishing, p. 1-34
- Biek, R.F., Hacker, D.B., and Rowley, P.D., 2016, Update on the Markagunt Gravity slide – Utah’s largest landslide just got bigger, a lot bigger: Utah Geological Survey, Survey Notes, v. 48, no. 1, p.5.
- Biek, R.F., Rowley, P.D., Anderson, J.J., Maldonado, F., Moore, D.W., Hacker, D.B., et. al., 2015, Geologic map of the Panguitch 30' x 60' quadrangle, Garfield, Iron, and Kane Counties, Utah:Utah Geological Survey Map 270DM, 162 p., 3
- Biek, R.F., Hacker, D.B., and Rowley, P.D., 2014, New constraints on the extent, age, ... gravity slides, in MacLean, John S., Biek, et. al.,editors, Geology of Utah’s farsouth: Utah Geological Association Publication 43, 44 p.
- Hacker, D.B., Biek, R.F., and Rowley, P.D., 2014, Catastrophic emplacement of the gigantic Miocene Markagunt gravity slide, southwest Utah (USA): Implications for hazards associated with sector collapse of volcanic fields: Geology, 42, no.11 p. 943-946
- Petronis, M.S., Holm, D.K., Geissman J.W., Hacker, D.B., et. al., 2014, Paleomagnetic results from the eastern Caliente - Enterprise Zone, southwestern Utah: Implications for initiation of a major Miocene transfer zone: Geosphere, v.10, p. 534-563
- Aaron, G.L., Griffith, E.M., and Hacker, D.B., 2014, Geochemical and Hydrologic Assessment of Drainage from Cherry Valley Coal Mine, Ohio: Environmental and Engineering Geoscience Journal, v.20, p257-272.
- Biek, R.F., Rowley, Hacker, D.B., et. al., 2010, Geologic Map of the St. George and East Part of the Clover Mountains 30 x 60 Quadrangles, Washington and Iron Counties, Utah, Washington and Iron Counties, Utah. Utah Geological Survey Map 242DM, 108 p.
- Biek, R.F., Rowley, P.D., Hayden, J.M., Hacker, D.B., et. al., 2009, Geologic Map of the St. George and East Part of the Clover Mountains 30 x 60 Quadrangles, Washington and Iron Counties, Utah, Washington and Iron Counties, Utah. Utah Geological Survey
- Charles J. Mankin Award from the Association of American State Geologists