With training in Aquatic Biology and Oceanography, I work at the interface between sciences unraveling climate mysteries, exploring the relationship between sedimentary strata, and helping to improve water quality using electromagnetic sensing techniques.
My primary research interest is in the area of paleoclimate. I study sedimentary records to extract climate-related information on seasonal to glacial-interglacial time scales. I employ diverse methods ranging from marine micropaleontology to light isotope geochemistry and core and well logging to decipher Earth's climate record.
- Finkenbinder, M.S., et al. Millenial-scale variability in Holocene aquatic productivity from Burial Lake, Arctic Alaska
- Lekki, J., et al Airborne Hyperspectral Imaging of Monitoring Harmful Algal Blooms in the Great Lakes Region: System Calibration and Validation From Photons to Algae Information: The Processes In-Between, NASA Technical Report, NASA Glenn Research Center
- Steinman BA, Pompeani DP, Abbott MB, Ortiz JD, Stansell ND, Finkenbinder, MS, Mihindukulasooriya LN, and AL Hillman, Oxygen isotope records of Holocene climate variability in the Pacific Northwest, Quaternary Science Reviews 142, 40-60
- Ali, KA, Ortiz, JD, Bonini, N, Shuman M, and C. Sydow, Application of Aqua MODIS sensor data for estimating Chlorophyll a in the turbid Case 2 waters of Lake Erie using bio-optical models, GIScience & Remote Sensing,
- GS Bullerjahn, et al. Global solutions to regional problems: collecting global expertise to address the problem of harmful cyanobacterial blooms. A Lake Erie case study, Harmful Algae, 54, 223-238, 2016
- Lajeunesse, P, et al. The Corossol Structure: a glaciated crater of possible impact origin in the northwestern Gulf of St. Lawrence (Eastern Canada) In Atlas of Submarine Glacial Landforms: Modern, Quaternary and Ancient, Geol. Society of London Memoir
- Griffith, EM, Ortiz, JD, and Jefferson, AJ, Mimicking the Rayleigh Isotope Effect in the Ocean, Oceanography 28(4), 96–101, 2015
- Bauch, D., Polyak, L, and Ortiz, JD, A Baseline for the vertical distribution of the stable carbon isotopes of dissolved inorganic carbon d13CDIC) in the Arctic Ocean, Arktos, 1(1):1-13, 2015
- Ortiz, JD, and A.A. Klompmaker, Turbidity currents: Comparing theory and observation in the lab, Oceanography 28(3):220-227, 2015 dx.doi,org/10.5670/oceanog.2015.73
- Yi, L, Chen, S, Ortiz, JD, Chen, G, Peng, J, Liu, F, Chen, Y, Deng, C, 1500-year cycle dominated Holocene dynamics of Yellow River delta, The Holocene, 1-15, 2015
- Mihindukulasooriya, L.N. Ortiz, J.D., et al. Reconstruction of late Quaternary paleohydrologic conditions in southeastern British Columbia using visible derivative spectroscopy of Cleland Lake sediment, Quaternary Research 83 (3), 531–544, 2015