Joseph D. Ortiz
With training in Aquatic Biology and Oceanography, I work at the interface between sciences unraveling climate mysteries, exploring the relationship between sedimentary strata, and helping to improve water quality using electromagnetic sensing techniques.
My primary research interest is in the area of paleoclimate. I study sedimentary records to extract climate-related information on seasonal to glacial-interglacial time scales. I employ diverse methods ranging from marine micropaleontology to light isotope geochemistry and core and well logging to decipher Earth's climate record.
- Judice, T., Widder, E.A., Falls, W.H., Avouris, D.M., Cristiano, D.J., & Ortiz, J.D. Field-validated detection of Aureoumbra lagunensis brown tide blooms in the Indian River Lagoon...GeoHealth, accepted pending revision, 2020
- Maselli, V., Oppo, D., Moore, A.L, Gusman, A.R., Mtelela, C., Iacopini, D., Taviani, M., Mjema, E., Mulaya, E. Che, M.m Tomioka, A.L., Mshiu, E., and Ortiz, J.D., A 1,000-year-old tsunami in the Indian Ocean points to greater risk for East Africa, GEOLOGY
- Ortiz, J.D., Palaeoclimate: ancient ice sheet collapse, Nature Geoscience, in press, 2020
- Akins, L., Ortiz, J.D., Leff, L.G., (2019) Strain-specific responses of toxic and non-toxic Microcystis aeruginosa to exudates of heterotrophic bacteria, Hydrobiologica, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10750-019-04073-4
- Ortiz, J.D., et. al., (2019) Evaluating visible derivative spectroscopy by varimax-rotated, principal component analysis of aerial hyperspectral images from the western basin of Lake Erie, , Journal of Great Lakes Research, Volume 45, Issue 3, June 2019,
- D.M. Avouris and J.D. Ortiz, Validation of 2015 Lake Erie MODIS image spectral decomposition using visible derivative spectroscopy and field campaign data, Journal of Great Lakes Research Volume 45, Issue 3, June 2019, Pages 466-479, 2019
- Mitra, R., Marchitto, T.M., Ge, Q., Zhong, B., Kanakiya, B., Cook, M.S. Fehrenbacher, J.S., Ortiz, J.D., et. al, (2019) Automated species-level identification of planktic foraminifera using...performance, Marine Micropaleontology, 147, 16-24
- Dipre, G.R., Polyak, L., Kuznetsov, A.B., Oti, E.A., Ortiz, J.D., et. al., (2018) Plio-Pleistocene sedimentary record from the Northwind Ridge: new insights into paleoclimatic evolution of the western Arctic Ocean for the last 5 Mam, Arktos 4: 24
- Finkenbinder, M.S., Abbott, M.B., Stoner, J.S., Ortiz, J.D., Finney, B.P., Dorfman, J.M., Stansell, N.D., Millennial-scale variability in Holocene aquatic productivity from Burial Lake, Arctic Alaska, Quaternary Science Reviews, 187, 220-234, 2018
- Waugh DA, Suydam RS, Ortiz JD, Thewissen JGM (2018) Validation of Growth Layer Group (GLG) depositional rate using daily incremental growth lines in the dentin of beluga (Delphinapterus leucas (Pallas, 1776)) teeth. PLoS ONE 13(1): e0190498