Bachelor of Science
The Bachelor of Science program is designed for those interested in a professional career in geology, or for those students who intend to graduate study in Geology. To obtain the B.S. degree, the student completes courses concerning minerals, rocks, landforms, fossils, structural geology, geochemistry, and field mapping, among others. These courses are supplemented by courses such as introductory chemistry, physics, biology, and mathematics. Download the Roadmap to the B.S. in Geology for the official reference to the degree program.
For additional information about our undergraduate program, please contact an undergraduate advisor in Geology.
- At least 42 semester credits must be taken in upper division courses (30000-level and above).
- At least 36 semester credits must be taken in Kent CORE courses.
- At least 121 semester credits of approved coursework must be completed successfully.
- GEOL 21062 Environmental Earth Sciences or GEOL 21080 All About the Oceans may be substituted for GEOL 11040 with Departmental permission.
- Requires completion of GEOL 41092, Summer Field Camp.
- A 2.00 cumulative grade-point average both overall and in the major, is necessary to graduate.
|GEOL 11040||How the Earth Works||3|
| GEOL 11041
||How the Earth Works Lab||1|
| GEOL 11042
||Earth and Life through Time||3|
| GEOL 11043
||Earth and Life through Time Lab||1|
| GEOL 23063
|| Earth Materials I
| GEOL 31070
||Earth Materials II||4|
| GEOL 31080
| GEOL 34061
| GEOL 41092
||Summer Field Camp||6|
| GEOL 44070
||Sedimentology and Stratigraphy||4|
|and 15 GEOL elective credits||15
| MATH 12002
||Analytic Geometry and Calculus I||5|
| CHEM 10060
||General Chemistry I||4|
| CHEM 10062
||General Chemistry Lab I||1|
| PHY 13001
||General College Physics I||4|
| PHY 13021
||General College Physics Lab I||1|
| GEOL 42035 or
| Scientific Methods in Geology (3) or
Basic Probability and Statistics (3)
| PHY 13002 and 13022 or
CHEM 10061 and 10063
| General College Physics II (4) and General College Physics Lab II (1) or
General Chemistry II (4) and General Chemistry Lab II (1)
| BSCI 10110 or
| Biological Diversity (4) or
Invertebrate Zoology (4)