2022 Fall International Cook-Off Nigeria recipes
Entrée – Jollof Rice and Fried Chicken
- Rice, tomato, bell pepper, onions, chicken, salt, seasoning (Maggi, chicken bouillon), curry powder, thyme, vegetable oil, carrot, green peas, diced liver
- Steam the chicken and liver with various spices (onions, curry, thyme, salt, and Maggi seasoning) to taste.
- Then take out the chicken and grill or fry it as you desire.
- Dice the liver and slice out some onions. Then blend the four tomato balls, one onion ball, and six ball peppers into a puree, and then use the chicken stock to make a stew.
- Add 2 ounces (half a liter) of vegetable oil and let it cook to homogenize. Parboil the rice for 5 minutes and drain out the water.
- Add some water to the stew, stir it properly and let it simmer. Then add your parboiled rice to the stew and close the pot.
- Once it has cooked for 10 -15 minutes, add sliced onions, green peas, and the diced liver. Taste it for saltiness.
- Add some more salt to taste. Once the rice is cooked, stir it with a long spoon or small paddle, and close the pot again for it to cook one more time (maybe for 5 minutes). It might get burnt at the pot's base; that’s normal. Your Nigerian Jollof Rice is ready.
Dessert/Drink -Zobo Drink
- Zobo leaf (dried hibiscus leaves /flowers), sugar, ginger, cloves, water, vanilla, or fruit extract
- Cook the Zobo leaf with the cloves in water and let it boil for 10 minutes. Filter the leaves and add sugar, vanilla or fruit extract, and blended ginger to taste. Refrigerate and serve as needed
- Zobo leaves (hibiscus flowers) link on Amazon - Here.