Academic Essentials

Credits Abroad

It is critical that your Transfer Course Planning Form (TCP Form) accurately reflects the classes you are taking abroad. Only courses listed on your TCP Form are approved to transfer back as Kent State course equivalents. If you decide to take a course that is not listed on that form, you must request approval for the course while abroad; do not wait until after you return! Course approvals can be done via email.

Keep all your syllabi, papers, and tests. Your academic department at Kent State might ask to see these documents when you return.

Full-Time Enrollment

If you are receiving and using federal financial aid, it is important that you stay enrolled as a full-time student. To be considered a full-time student, you must be enrolled in at least the equivalent number of credit hours for the following:


  • Semester: 12 credit hours

  • Summer: 6 credit hours 


  • Semester: 8 credit hours

  • Summer: 4 credit hours

As an example, if you are studying in Germany for a semester you may need to enroll in 24 ECTS credits in order to be considered full time by US standards. 

For summer programs, it is possible to meet the minimum credit hour requirement by taking the equivalent of 3 credit hours abroad and enrolling in 3 credit hours at Kent.

Academic Culture

Keep in mind that you are going to be living and studying in a new culture which also means you will be in a new academic culture. The grading system may be vastly different from what you are used to. For example, a 65 is considered as a good grade in the United Kingdom. Coursework may also be different. Many other educational systems focus more on lectures and less on group discussion and group participation. You may find that your entire grade is based on one final exam.