Application Steps

  1. Send your current passport, visa, and proof of financial funding to and state that you are seeking assistance with a Change of Status by travel and re-entry. 
  2. Collect your I-20 from the Office of Global Education. You can choose one of the options below:
    • Collect your I-20 from OGE -- You will need to bring your photo ID to show to the OGE reception desk.
    • Authorize a friend to collect from OGE -- You will need to indicate in the email the name of your friend. Once you receive the email indicating that your I-20 is ready for pick up, please forward the email to your friend and remind them to bring a photo ID when they come. 
    • Have your I-20 shipped at your own cost -- Please follow the instructions to create a shipping label and have it sent to you by clicking here. We will not print your I-20 until you provide the order number of your shipment. 
  3. Pay your I-901 fee. Be sure to use the SEVIS number from the I-20 generated in step 2. Further instructions can be found by clicking here
  4. Verify if you need an F-1 visa or renew your F-1 visa.
    • If you do not have an F-1 visa already, you can follow the steps detailed on our webpage by clicking here
    • If you have an F-1 visa and it has not expired, you should contact your U.S. consulate in your home country where the visa was issued to determine if you need to apply for a new F-1 visa. 
  5. Work with an ISSS advisor to determine a travel and re-entry timeline.
  6. Once you return to the U.S. in your F-1 status, make an appointment with an ISSS advisor to ensure your SEVIS record is accurate and active.