Application Steps

  1. The F-1 visa holder who will be adding a dependent should log into the ISSS Student & Scholar Portal, go into the Request Center, and complete a Dependent Request.
  2. The F-1 visa holder should download the new F-1 I-20 and the F-2 I-20 from the ISSS Portal and confirm that the information on the documents is correct.
  3. Verify if you need an F-2 visa or renew your F-2 visa.
    • If you do not have an F-2 visa already, you will need to make an appointment at U.S. embassy or consulate for an F-2 visa.
    • If you have an F-2 visa and it has not expired, you should contact your U.S. consulate in your home country where the visa was issued to determine if you need to apply for a new F-2 visa. 
  4. Work with an ISSS advisor to determine a travel and re-entry timeline.
  5. Once you return to the U.S. in your F-2 status, make an appointment with an ISSS advisor to ensure your SEVIS record is accurate and active.