On-Campus Employment for International Students

On Campus Employment for F Visa Students

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security has limited part-time employment for international students as follows:

  • During the academic term international students can work up no more than 20 hours a week.
  • During the break periods, including the summer semester, international students can work no more than 28 hours a week. 

Steps to On-Campus Employment for International Students

Step 1. Search for an on-campus job. Access Handshake through FlashLine. Log in with your FlashLine username and password, update your profile and upload a resume, and then you may begin searching and applying for positions. To locate on-campus positions in Handshake click on Jobs, click the on-campus button at the top, and scroll down to see all current available positions. Apply only to positions for which you are qualified. International students are not eligible for Work Study. Read the job descriptions carefully to ensure they are not limited to students with a federal work study award only.

Step 2. Once you have interviewed and received an offer of employment, your supervisor will also need to complete Section I of the Social Security Employment Verification Form, which can be found on the Career Exploration and Development Forms Library. Your supervisor will also send you an electronic Offer of Student Employment Position Form, which you will sign online. While you have begun the employment process, you may NOT begin work until all required employment forms are completed and permission has been granted

Step 3. Complete the following electronic request Social Security Employment Verification Part II (ISSS)An ISSS advisor will review your information and complete your Social Security Employment Verification Form. You will receive an email with your completed document along with next steps for going to the Social Security Administration Office.

Step 4. Visit the Social Security Administration Office located at 444 Enterprise Parkway, Ravenna, OH, 44266 to submit your application for a Social Security Number (SSN). You will need to take the following documents with you:

  • Social Security Employment Verification Form
  • Offer of Student Employment Position Form
  • Passport
  • F-1 Visa
  • Form I-20
  • Printed I-94 (go to CBP webpage, click "Get most recent I-94," complete fields and print)
  • SS-5 Form (instructions and form available through SSA website)

After your visit to the Social Security Administration Office, you will be provided with a receipt. You should retain the receipt until your official Social Security is sent to you in the mail. Your card will be sent to the mailing address you provided on the SS-5 form. You should keep your Social Security Card in a secure location. Please review the section about Security Risks below. 

Step 5.

  • ARAMARK Employees ONLY: Go to the Aramark Human Resources Office (Tri Towers Room 203). You do not need to complete any further steps.
  • All other students except Graduate/Research/Teaching Assistants: Visit Career Exploration and Development (MSC 261) to complete the remaining employment forms. Contact career@kent.edu for available times. Please call (330) 672-2360 for times they offer assistance with pre-employment paperwork. Be sure to take the following documents with you: Form I-20, Printed I-94, and Passport

Step 6. Once you have completed the employment paperwork, let your supervisor know. They will formally offer the position to you. You will receive an email in approximately 1-2 business days. You will need to log in and officially accept your employment offer. You will be notified via email when permission to work has been granted. Once you begin working, you should set up Direct Deposit via Flashline. Direct Deposit can be found under the Employee tab on the Dashboard.

Step 7. ALL Students EXCEPT Aramark employees: If you are not contacted by the Payroll Office within 2 weeks of completing your employment paperwork, you should call to make an appointment to complete the final employment requirements (330) 672-8640. If you do not have your Social Security Card when you meet with Payroll, you will be required to present it after you receive it. Failure to present your Social Security Card within 90 days of employment will result in termination of employment. 

Social Security Numbers & Security Risks

Your Social Security Number is private information. We do not recommend giving our your SSN to anyone via phone or email. Important government agencies, the IRS, and KSU will never ask you for your SSN over the phone or email. If you find that your SSN information was stolen or given to a fraudulent company, then you may want to file a police report with the local police. You should also contact your bank and any credit card companies, the Social Security Administration, and the KSU cyber security team for any suggestions. You should update all of your passwords and PIN numbers.

This number is the only one you will have your entire life. If you leave the U.S. and come back, this is still your SSN.