If your original reason for coming to the United States changes, you may request to change your nonimmigrant status to a different one.

The material below is provided to help guide you with your Change of Status to B-2 Visitor request. You should take the time to review all of the instructions provided by USCIS for filing the change of status. You can find the full set of information here

Eligibility B-2 Visitor

You must submit an application for change of status before your current authorized stay expires. Failure to file before the expiration date may be excused if you demonstrate when you file the application that:

  • the delay was due to extraordinary circumstances beyond your control;
  • the length of the delay was reasonable;
  • you have not otherwise violated your status;
  • you are still a bona fide nonimmigrant; and
  • you are not in removal proceedings
Filing Your Application for B-2 Visitor


You may apply online to change your nonimmigrant status if you meed the following conditions:

You are applying:

  • As a single applicant;
  • Without co-applicants; and
  • You will not require legal or accredited representation at any point in your request.

Family Members and Dependents of Nonimmigrants -- If you apply as part of a family, you may choose to:

  • Apply as co-applicants, using paper Form I-539, and pay a single fee; or
  • Apply online as individuals, and pay a fee for each application.

Please note if you file using the paper Form I-539, you will need to file the I-539A for dependents and will still need to pay $85.00 for the Biometrics Service Fee per applicant.

General Requirements

Here are the required pieces for your application as outlined in the I-539 instructions

  • Completed I-539
  • Completed I-539A (for dependents)
  • Most recent I-94
  • Most recent passport
  • A letter explaining the following: the reason for your request, the reason why your extended stay would be temporary, including what arrangements you have made to depart from the U.S., and any effect the extended stay may have on your foreign employment or residency.
  • Application filing fee -- View the current fees under "Filing Fees."
  • Biometric Services fee -- View the current fees under "Filing Fees."
  • Fee waiver -- you may be eligible for a fee waiver under 8 CFR 103.7(c). If you believe that you are eligible for a fee waiver, complete Form I-912, Request for Fee Waiver, and submit it and any required evidence of your inability to pay the filing fees with this application. You can review the fee waiver guidance at www.uscis.gov/feewaiver.

Other suggested evidence to include:

  • Copy of most recent F-1 visa
  • Copy of your current I-20
  • Copy of your unofficial transcript
  • Copy of your EAD card (if applicable)
  • For dependents -- copies of their visas and I-20s
After Your Application has been Submitted for B-2 Visitor

Once your application has been received, USCIS will send you a notification to the mailing address listed on your Form I-539. Requests for more information may also be sent to your mailing address. It is important to read every document sent to you by USCIS and follow all instructions. If you are confused or would like guidance on what to do, you can ask an ISSS advisor. On your receipt notification, you will have a receipt number. You can use this number to check the status of your application online by clicking here.

As of March 8, 2019, every applicant and co-applicant will receive a biometric services appointment notice, regardless of age, containing their individual receipt number. The biometric services appointments will be scheduled at the Application Support Center (ASC) closest to the primary applicant's address. Co-applicants who wish to be scheduled at a different ASC location should file a separate Form I-539. USCIS will reject any Form I-539 that is missing any of the required signatures or biometrics fees, including those required for Form I-539A.

Application Support Centers are closed for services to the public until further notice as a result of the coronavirus. This could delay the processing of your application. However, you are permitted to be in the U.S. until a decision about your application has been made.

If at any point you wish to return home, you do not have to wait for your application decision. Your application will likely be denied for the change to B-2 visitor.