CPT Overview

Curricular Practical Training (CPT) is a benefit of the F-1 visa student status, which requires prior authorization from the ISSS office. This opportunity may allow international students to engage in practical training during the course of their program.

According to 8CFRSEC.214.2(f)(10)(i) Curricular Practical Training (CPT) must be "an integral part of an established curriculum." Practical training is "alternate work/study, internship, co-operative education, or any other type of required internship or practicum which is offered by sponsoring employers through cooperative agreements with the school."

  • No matter if the work is voluntary or paid, the student MUST be approved for CPT BEFORE they begin working.
CPT Eligibility
CPT Special Considerations
CPT Application