ESL Application Guide
For students whose sole interest is learning English and who do not intend to enter a degree program, Kent’s ESL Center offers several programs that provide intensive English language instruction to international students. The ESL Center’s goal is to help students learn to communicate and study effectively in English and to gain a greater understanding of United States culture. The ESL Center is committed to academic excellence through flexibility in program design. All courses are available at various proficiency levels to insure that students receive the best English training possible.*
ESL Direct Application Process
1. Submit an online application and nonrefundable application fee of $30
2. Prepare application documents
- Copy of Passport biographical page
- Financial guarantee (bank statements) that show sufficient funds to cover educational expenses (View tuition costs for ESL)
- Kent State University Financial Information Worksheet (PDF)
*Financial documents are only required after acceptance.
3. Submission of all required documents to the Office of Global Education
Include the student’s full name and Kent State ID when sending documents.
- For faster processing, all the documents should be scanned as one multi-page PDF (the size of the PDF file should be within 5MB) and sent to the International Admissions Office through email@example.com
- Mailing the application is also acceptable for international applicants to the address provided:
Office of Global Education
Kent State University
106 Van Campen Hall
625 Loop Rd
Kent OH 44242 USA
*Note: For some countries, it might be more difficult to get a U.S. visa issued with only ESL admission.
4. Apply for your immigration document (I20)
Now that you are admitted, you will need an immigration document in order to obtain your student visa, please check the immigration document page for additional information.
5. Transfer your SEVIS record (if applicable)
If you are an F-1 student transferring from a school in the United States, please review the SEVIS Transfer In Guide regarding your SEVIS record transfer. F-1 students must transfer their SEVIS record in order to maintain their F-1 status.