Filing Your Application for B-2 Visitor


You may apply online to change your nonimmigrant status if you meed the following conditions:

You are applying:

  • As a single applicant;
  • Without co-applicants; and
  • You will not require legal or accredited representation at any point in your request.

Family Members and Dependents of Nonimmigrants -- If you apply as part of a family, you may choose to:

  • Apply as co-applicants, using paper Form I-539, and pay a single fee; or
  • Apply online as individuals, and pay a fee for each application.

Please note if you file using the paper Form I-539, you will need to file the I-539A for dependents and will still need to pay $85.00 for the Biometrics Service Fee per applicant.

General Requirements

Here are the required pieces for your application as outlined in the I-539 instructions

  • Completed I-539
  • Completed I-539A (for dependents)
  • Most recent I-94
  • Most recent passport
  • A letter explaining the following: the reason for your request, the reason why your extended stay would be temporary, including what arrangements you have made to depart from the U.S., and any effect the extended stay may have on your foreign employment or residency.
  • Application filing fee -- View the current fees under "Filing Fees."
  • Biometric Services fee -- View the current fees under "Filing Fees."
  • Fee waiver -- you may be eligible for a fee waiver under 8 CFR 103.7(c). If you believe that you are eligible for a fee waiver, complete Form I-912, Request for Fee Waiver, and submit it and any required evidence of your inability to pay the filing fees with this application. You can review the fee waiver guidance at

Other suggested evidence to include:

  • Copy of most recent F-1 visa
  • Copy of your current I-20
  • Copy of your unofficial transcript
  • Copy of your EAD card (if applicable)
  • For dependents -- copies of their visas and I-20s