|Program Description||Application||Program Information||Cost Estimates|
FLORENCE HEALTH INSTITUTE - SUMMER 2023
The Kent State University Florence Health Institute (FHI) is an opportunity for students who are pursuing a career in Public Health, Nursing, Medicine, Pharmacy or any related field to study the impacts of their field through an international lens. In this creative and interprofessional study abroad experience, students from Kent State University will study a total of seven (7) credits in Florence for one month during the summer. All courses will be offered at both the undergraduate and graduate level in order to satisfy a variety of students’ academic needs.
Kristina Bullard, Senior Education Abroad Advisor
The Kent State Florence Center hosts one session of the Florence Health Institute.
Departure from the US: May 24-25, 2023
Mandatory On-site Orientation: May 27 & May 28, 2023
Classes begin: May 29, 2023
Mandatory Siena Field Trip: June 2, 2023
Classes end: June 22, 2023
Departure from Florence: June 25, 2023
All program dates are tentative and subject to change. Students should not book any airfare until official arrival dates and information has been shared from the Office of Global Education.
APPLYING TO THE FLORENCE HEALTH INSTITUTE
- Kent State University applicants must have a minimum of a 2.75 GPA and be in good standing. Applications will not be considered for admission until all items have been submitted. Some classes may have additional pre-requisites. Guest students are welcome to apply. All students can apply for the Florence program here:
PLEASE NOTE: Non-KSU degree seeking students must first apply as a KSU Guest Student:
- Apply online as a Kent State Guest Student (there is no fee to apply)
- When completing the Guest Student Application, please be sure to make the following selections:
- Select Student Type: Guest
- Select Campus: Kent Campus
- After submitting the Guest Student Application, students must e-mail the program coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com.
- Once accepted, the program coordinator will communicate the new KSU credentials required to begin the study abroad application process.
- Students may then apply for their education abroad program through the Kent State online application system. You will be prompted to login using your KSU Flashline credentials.
ORIENTATION: Before you leave and upon your arrival in Florence, you'll participate in an orientation designed to help you make the most out of your study abroad experience. In orientation, your goals will be to...
- Orient yourself to the city of Florence.
- Develop the awareness you need to observe and learn from different cultures.
- Access the tools you will need to succeed academically, personally, and safely within the policies and responsibilities of the 4-week program.
THE CAMPUS: Kent State has been educating students in Florence for 50 years! It's academic center is the Palazzo Vettori, a prestigious 15th century building located in the heart of Florence, at the corner of Via Cavour and Via Alfani, next to Piazza del Duomo. According to historian Guido Carocci, the fabric of the building started at the beginning of the 15th century. Its façade proclaims the new ideas of Renaissance architecture based on the use of rustication.
Watch a video of the Grand Opening of the Palazzo Vettori in Spring 2016
ACADEMIC OFFERINGS: Students will take a total of seven (7) credits while in Florence. All courses will be offered at the graduate and undergraduate level.
- NURS 40089 International Health Care Policies 3 credits (Mandatory) (Please Note: this course meets the Core Competencies for Interprofessional Collaborative Practice for KSU students)
- PH 43089 Pandemics that Shaped the World: 3 credits (Mandatory)
- MCLS 10095 Italian for Medical Professionals: 1 credit (Mandatory)
ACCOMMODATIONS: Students stay in shared apartments throughout the heart of Florence. This immersive experience allows students to live like a Florentine. Apartments are fully furnished with bed linens, a kitchen, washing machine, TV, and WiFi. Students will need to bring their own towels. Apartments are typically shared with 2-8 other students on the program, and it is possible to submit a roommate request.
FINANCIAL AID AND SCHOLARSHIPS: Financial aid is available for this program. Students are also encouraged to search and apply for study abroad scholarships. Education Abroad provides information about using federal financial aid and searching for scholarships.
TRAVELING WHILE IN FLORENCE: It is possible for students to travel independently while in Florence. Classes meet Monday through Thursday, so each weekend allows three days to visit a dream destination. Kent State Florence staff can offer advice on where to go and how to get there.
ESTIMATED PROGRAM COSTS
The fees below will be assessed to the student's Bursar account:
|Estimated Airfare||$1,700||Only applicable for students participating in the group flight. Independent travelers will pay for their flight on their own.|
|Program Fee||$840||Covers administrative fees, teaching materials, arrival transportation, activities, and orientation.|
|International Health Insurance||$80|
|Tuition (7 credit hours)||KSU Tuition||Tuition rates will vary based on your tuition-guarantee cohort rate, residency, and academic level. Please visit the Kent State Bursar's Office for the most up-to-date tuition rates for students who are not in a tuition guarantee and tuition rates for the tuition guarantee cohorts. Students are required to register for 7 credit hours. You can review the Kent State University Cost of Attendance information here.|
|Estimated Total||$3,820.00 + KSU Tuition||Estimated total includes the group flight but does not include KSU tuition or tuition fees.|
- These estimates are for the Summer 2023 program and are not guaranteed for future summers.
- These estimated costs do not include food, personal expenses, social activities, optional field trips, or personal travel.
- Most Kent State University scholarships will apply to study abroad costs and federal financial aid will apply. For non-KSU students, contact your university's financial aid office.
- Please remember to apply early if you are planning to use financial aid or loans.
- You will be billed by the Kent State University Bursar for the items listed above.