|Program Description||Application||Program Information||Cost Estimates|
FLORENCE HEALTH INSTITUTE - Summer 2020
The Kent State University Florence Health Institute (FHI) is an opportunity for students who are pursuing a career in Public Health, Nursing, Medicine, Pharmacy or any related field to study the impacts of their field through an international lens. In this creative and interprofessional study abroad experience, students from Kent State University will study a total of seven (7) credits in Florence for one month during the summer. All courses will be offered at both the undergraduate and graduate level in order to satisfy a variety of students’ academic needs.
Kent State University, Education Abroad
Address: 106 Van Campen Hall, 625 Loop Road, Kent, OH 44242
|Arrival Date||Thursday, May 28, 2020|
|Classes Begin||Monday, June 1, 2020|
|Mandatory Siena Field Trip||Monday, June 8, 2020|
|Classes End||Thursday, June 25, 2020|
|Return Date||Sunday, June 28, 2020|
Additional information about departure/arrival and other important term dates will be provided.
APPLYING TO THE FLORENCE HEALTH INSTITUTE
- Kent State University applicants must have a minimum of a 2.75 GPA and be in good standing. An Admission Decision will be made as soon as your application file is complete. Applications will not be considered for admission until all items have been submitted. Some classes may have additional pre-requisites. Guest students are welcome to apply. All students can apply for the Florence program here:
DEADLINE: Priority: February 1, 2020/ Final: March 1, 2020
PLEASE NOTE: Non-KSU degree seeking students (guest students) must complete 1.) a Guest Student Application, giving you temporary Kent State student status, and 2.) a Transcript Release Authorization, so a transcript will automatically be sent to your home institution. Both are simple forms, and there is no fee for either. Once a student is accepted under guest status, the student can then apply using the above Apply Now link.
ORIENTATION: Before you leave and upon your arrival in Florence, you'll participate in an orientation designed to help you make the most out of your study abroad experience. In orientation, your goals will be to...
- Orient yourself to the city of Florence.
- Develop the awareness you need to observe and learn from different cultures.
- Access the tools you will need to succeed academically, personally, and safely within the policies and responsibilities of the 4-week program.
THE CAMPUS: Kent State has been educating students in Florence for more than 40 years. It's new academic center is the Palazzo Vettori, a prestigious 15th century building located in the heart of Florence, at the corner of Via Cavour and Via Alfani, next to Piazza del Duomo. According to historian Guido Carocci, the fabric of the building started at the beginning of the 15th century. Its façade proclaims the new ideas of Renaissance architecture based on the use of rustication.
Watch a video of the Grand Opening of the Palazzo Vettori in Spring 2016
ACADEMIC OFFERINGS: Students will take a total of seven (7) credits while in Florence. All courses will be offered at the graduate and undergraduate level.
- International Health Care Policies 3 credits (Mandatory) (Please Note: this course meets the Core Competencies for Interprofessional Collaborative Practice for KSU students)
- Plagues that Shaped the World: 3 credits (Mandatory)
- MCLS 10095 Italian for Medical Professionals: 1 credit (Mandatory)
ACCOMMODATIONS: Students stay in apartments throughout the heart of Florence. Apartments are fully furnished with bed linens, a kitchen, washing machine, and wifi. Students will need to bring their own towels. Apartments are shared with two to eight other students in the program, and it is possible to submit a roommate request.
FINANCIAL AID AND SCHOLARSHIPS: Financial aid is available for this program. Students are also encouraged to search and apply for study abroad scholarships. Education Abroad provides information about using federal financial aid and searching for scholarships.
TRAVELING WHILE IN FLORENCE: It is possible for students to travel independently while in Florence. Classes meet Monday through Thursday, so each weekend allows three days to visit a dream destination. Kent State Florence staff can offer advice on where to go and how to get there.
ESTIMATED PROGRAM COSTS
The fees below will be assessed to the student's Bursar account:
|Tuition*: (Summer non tuition guarantee rates)|
Undergraduate 7 credits:
Graduate 7 Credits:
|In-State: $5,075 + Airfare
Out-of-State: $7,665 + Airfare
|In-State: $5,572 + Airfare
Out-of-State: $8,813 + Airfare
- *These are Summer 2020 undergraduate non-tuition guarantee cohort rates. For tuition guarantee cohort rates, please visit: www.kent.edu/bursar/tuition-and-fees
- These estimated costs do not include food, airfare, social activities, optional field trips, or personal travel
- These estimates are not guaranteed for future semesters/summers.
- Most Kent State University scholarships will apply to study abroad costs and federal financial aid will apply. For non-KSU students, contact your university's financial aid office.
- Please remember to apply early if you are planning to use financial aid or loans.
- You will be billed by the Kent State University Bursar for the items listed above.