High Quality & Affordable Education
Among other universities, Kent State is classified as an institution with high research activity.
- More than 2,700 full-time and part-time faculty from 6 continents
- More than 150 national and international institutions represented in faculty numbers
- 70%+ of the faculty have the highest degree in their field
- 61.8% of full-time faculty are tenure-track faculty
Major institutes such as the world-renowned Liquid Crystal Institute have contributed to the university’s reputation in the United States and abroad.
- $30 million in extramural research funding over past five years.
- $366 million invested in our research by the federal government to date.
- 166+ active U.S. patents for research
- Birthplace of LCD and home to the innovative and groundbreaking Liquid Crystal Institute, founded in 1965 by Glenn H. Brown, Ph.D.
- 5th in U.S. for number of startup companies formed and patents issued per $1 million in expenditures.
- Fulbright scholars and internationally recognized leaders actively involve undergraduate and graduate students in their research projects.
- Kent State is ranked 5th among all U.S. and Canadian universities in the number of patents issued per million dollars in research expenditures, according to the Milken Institute.
- Recent research includes the discovery of “Ardi” by Kent State University professor of anthropology Dr. C. Owen Lovejoy and his colleagues, which was named the Breakthrough of the Year by Science and its publisher, AAAS, the world’s largest science society.
- Ten Kent State University researchers were also part of an international team of scientists who discovered the most massive anti-nucleus discovered to date.
- Kent State University boasts more than 190 active U.S. patents for faculty research.
- Faculty support and involve both graduate and undergraduate students in their research projects.
Kent State University is recognized by prestigious organizations, including:
- National Academy of Sciences
- Institute for Financial Markets
- Science Watch
- American Physical Society
- National Science Foundation
Kent State University offers an affordable education for international students. Please review Tuition for current tuition costs for international students.
International student scholarship is available to international students. Many graduate programs offer fellowships and graduate assistantships for international graduate students to help defray costs.