Identity and Education Abroad
While you are abroad, you may notice that some of the identities you hold become more or less salient than they were at home. These changes could potentially have positive or negative impacts while you are abroad. To help prepare you for this, we have listed a few questions to consider before you depart. There are also additional resources below.
General Things to Consider
- Think about the identities you hold. Which are visible and invisible?
- How will you want to talk (or not talk) about those parts of your identity?
- How will you respond to unexpected questions or attention?
- What will it mean to travel to where you are going with the identities you hold?
- How will your identities be perceived in your host culture?
- How might your values be impacted by this new reality or perception?
- Research the political, cultural, and historical context of the country where you will be studying.
- Research other student experiences in your host country.
- Depending on your program, you may be able to look into identity-based student organizations at the host university where you could meet with other students, ask questions, and have open discussions.
- Stay connected with on-site program directors and counselors, if available.
- Don't hesitate to reach out to us for support.