Incoming Exchange Students | Kent State University

Kent State University looks forward to having you here! This page will help walk you through the application process.

For questions about applying as an exchange student, please contact

Steps to apply:

  1. Your home university coordinator must first nominate you by sending an email to an Education Abroad Advisor.  The nomination must include: name, email, major, and term.
  2. Apply online and follow the steps in the Exchange Fact Sheet.  The sooner you apply, the better.  When filling out the online application make sure to choose the correct degree level (undergraduate or graduate) and click Student from Exchange Partner under Degree Type.
  3. Non-native English speakers must send recent official TOEFL or IELTS Score Sheet.  Scores must be sent to Kent State directly from ETS.  Our institution code is 1367.
  4. Send the six requested documents via email to
    The seven requested items are:
  1. Most recent university transcript (with a certificated English translation, if applicable)
  2. Financial Worksheet for Exchange Students
  3. Financial Guarantee/Bank Statements showing a minimum of the equivalent of the following amounts, depending on term. Statements must be in English or include a certified English translation.
    • Fall 2016: $6,300
    • Academic Year 2016-2017 : $12,900
    • Spring 2017: $6,600
  4. Exchange Permission Form
  5. Copy of passport.  Your passport must not expire for at least 6 months after the last date that you will be at Kent State.
  6. City and country of birth (if not on your passport)

After acceptance, check out the new incoming student guide.


Kent State University has a new policy requiring all international students to enroll in the insurance provided by Kent State University.  Students will be automatically enrolled and charged for this insurance.  For Fall 2015 the insurance fee was $821.  For Spring 2016 (includes coverage for Summer 2016) the insurance fee was $1,169.  There are no exceptions to this policy.


Kent State University is experiencing a housing shortage and therefore cannot guarantee on-campus housing to incoming exchange students who are not coming as part of ISEP. The Office of Global Education does have resources to aid students in finding off-campus housing, and our staff is also here to help you.

On-campus Housing

Applying for housing does not guarantee that you will be able to get on-campus housing. On-campus housing is given on a first-come first-serve basis, so it is important that you apply for housing as soon as you have been accepted to Kent State.  For information about housing options, visit Residence Services' website.  To apply for housing, you must first have your Flashline username and password activated.  The housing application can be found here.

Off campus Housing

There is off-campus housing available, but it can fill quickly, so apply as soon as possible. Off-campus housing is not affiliated with Kent State in any way.

Below are some suggested apartment complexes to check:

College Towers: This complex is located directly behind Van Campen Hall where the Office of Global Education is located, so while it is technically off campus, the location is very convenient. The location is very good for international students because it is close to OGE and the bus stop. College Towers also has a lot of flexible options for students, and it is less expensive than our residence halls. A co-signer is not required for international students if they show a copy of their I-20 form.

Kent Apartments: This company oversees many apartment complexes in the Kent area and oversees College Towers.

Here are some other resources:

Many of these apartment complexes are unfurnished, but there is a furniture renting company called CORT, and other resources are available to find inexpensive furniture and household goods.