International Freshman Application Guide
Majors: There are more than 280 undergraduate majors offered at Kent State.
Preferred Application Deadlines: October 1 for Spring Semester; June 1 for Fall Semester
Late applications are accepted, but we recommend that international students apply as early as possible to allow time for pre-departure requirements.
New freshmen applicants must finish secondary school in their home country by the time of enrollment to be eligible for university (comparable to the completion of senior high school in the U.S.). A student who has previously enrolled in a post- secondary (higher education) institution is required to apply as a transfer student.
Freshmen should meet the minimum requirement of GPA ≥ 2.5 on a U.S. 4.0 scale. Check for specific majors' selective requirements. Students who want a particular program but do not meet the minimum requirements may be considered for the pre-major.
New Freshman Application Process
1. Submit an online application and nonrefundable application fee of $70
2. Prepare application documents
- Passport Biographical Page
- English Language Proficiency scores
- Secondary School Graduation Certificate/Diploma/Attending Certificate (Certified English translation and original language)
- Kent State University accepts IGCSE and O Levels as meeting the entry criteria for admission. The number of IGCSE/O-level passes is used to determine whether or not the student has completed a college preparatory curriculum. This is one of several factors used to determine a student's admission to Kent State. If the student has five IGCSE/O-level passes with a grade of "C" or higher, they have fulfilled the minimum college preparatory curriculum requirements as equivalent to US High School completion. Both IGCSE and International O Level results must be met for admission criteria; however, this does not guarantee them admission to Kent State.
- Secondary School Transcripts/detailed mark sheets (Certified English translation and original language)
- Additional documents if required *Check website for specific majors' selective requirements
- Financial guarantee (bank statements) that show sufficient funds to cover educational and living expenses.*
- Kent State University Financial Information Worksheet (PDF)*
*Financial documents are only required after acceptance.
3. Submission of all required documents to OGE
- Include the student's full name and Kent State ID when sending documents.
- For faster processing, documents should be scanned as one multi-page PDF (the size of the PDF file should be within 5MB) and sent to the International Admissions Office through firstname.lastname@example.org. Also, TOEFL scores must be submitted through ETS (institution code: 1367), SAT through College Board (institution code: 1367) and ACT (institution code: 3284) through ACT to be considered.
- For admission purposes, we accept scanned documents of international credentials, however as of August 1, 2019 we are now accepting scanned copies of U.S. credentials. When an applicant is admitted, his/her final and official transcript and diploma should be brought to the International Admissions Office for verification. This should be done within the first semester (or the first module for ESL students). Otherwise, the student's account will be put on HOLD.
- Mailing the application is also acceptable for international applicants to the address here:
Office of Global Education
Kent State University
106 Van Campen Hall
625 Loop Rd
Kent OH 44242 USA
4. Check Status
Please remember that it is your responsibility to check your application status to ensure that we have received all documents. You should allow three weeks for the status of your application to be updated and please note that items sent to Kent State become the property of the university and will not be returned.
5. Transfer your SEVIS record (if applicable)
If you are an F-1 student transferring from a school in the United States, please review the Transfer In Guide regarding your SEVIS record transfer. F-1 students must transfer their SEVIS record in order to maintain their F-1 status.
6. Provide final and official documents after arrival
When an applicant is admitted, his/her final and official transcript and diploma should be brought to the International Admissions Office for verification. This should be done within the first semester (or the first module for ESL students). Otherwise, the student's account will be put on HOLD.
Freshman Student Information
Students with outstanding intellectual and creative ability are encouraged to consider applying to the Honors College. Honors students participate in special classes and colloquiums taught by distinguished faculty. Honors classes are small and stress active participation.
UNDERGRADUATE APPLICATION PROCESS
At Kent State University we are happy to receive your application. Once we receive your application and fee, the process begins with an evaluation of your foreign credentials and English proficiency. The professional staff of the Office of Admissions will make a decision based on this evaluation and the other information you submit on your application. Your paperwork is then sent to the International Student and Scholar Services office where immigration documents will be issued and express mailed to you.
ATTENTION APPLICANTS FROM CHINA
There is a website available, www.fanping.org, which allows you to create a student profile in order to differentiate yourself and provides our university with more information. We do not endorse or require applicants to use this system, but it can provide us with additional information to evaluate you along with your official application. Your student profile can be created and submitted at any time of the year for review.