International Graduate Application Guide
Graduate admission requirements and deadlines differ from program to program, so you will need to follow the expectations of the specific department, school or college you wish to apply to. Please check the website www.kent.edu/gps for the latest updates.
International Graduate Application Process
1. Submit an online application and nonrefundable application fee of $70
Podiatric Medicine Application
2. Prepare application documents to upload as you apply
- Passport Biographical Page
- English Language Proficiency official results report for IELTS, PTE or MELAB. TOEFL score should be submitted officially through ETS (Institution Code 1367)
- College transcript/detailed marksheets (Certified English translation and original language)
- College Graduation Certificate/Diploma if already issued (Certified English translation and original language)
- GRE/GMAT or other standardized tests if required (submit official test report through test center)
- Graduate assistantship application (if applicable)
- Assistantship application
- Graduate assistantship applicants may need to meet earlier deadlines. Please check with department for deadlines.
- Additional documents if required *review requirements from individual department or school
- Financial guarantee (bank statements) that show sufficient funds to cover educational expenses.*
- Kent State University Financial Information Worksheet*
*Financial documents are only required after acceptance.
3. Upload all required documents to the online application system
- For faster processing, all the documents should be uploaded in the online application system to complete the application
4. Check Status
Please remember that it is your responsibility to check your application status to ensure that we have received all documents. As a reminder, you are able to monitor the status of your application online. You should allow three weeks for the status of your application to be updated, and please note that items sent to Kent State become the property of the university and will not be returned.
5. Transfer your SEVIS record (if applicable)
If you are an F-1 student transferring from a school in the United States, please review the SEVIS Transfer In Guide regarding your SEVIS record transfer. F-1 students must transfer their SEVIS record in order to maintain their F-1 status.
6. Provide final and official documents after arrival
For admissions purposes, we accept scanned documents of international credentials. When an applicant is admitted, his/her final and official transcripts and diploma should be brought to the International Admissions Office for verification. This should be done within the first semester (or the first module for ESL students). Otherwise, the student's account will be put on HOLD.
Graduate Student Information
Graduate Application Process
After we receive your completed application and required documents, the process begins with an evaluation of your academic credentials and English proficiency. This process takes around three weeks to be completed. Your application then moves to the academic department or school in which you applied for a final review. The faculty in that academic unit will make an admission decision, and you will be notified in writing. After you are admitted, an advisor in the International Student and Scholar Services office will issue your immigration documents and express mail them to you.
Graduate Student Assistantships
Kent State University offers both graduate assistantships and teaching fellowships. To be considered for one of these competitive awards, you will need to include an application for a graduate appointment with your application materials. If selected, then you will receive a tuition waiver and a monthly stipend in return for up to 20 hours of work per week. A teaching or research fellowship offers a full tuition waiver and monthly stipend and allows students to focus exclusively on teaching or research rather than departmental duties.
The Graduate Student Orientation program introduces master’s and doctoral students to campus resources and select faculty, staff and administrators. Attendance during the Graduate Student Orientation program is required of all graduate students with teaching assistantships and highly recommended for all other graduate students.
Attention Applicants from China
There is a website available, www.fanping.org, which allows you to create a student profile in order to differentiate yourself and provides our university with more information. We do not endorse or require applicants to use this system, but it can provide us with additional information to evaluate you along with your official application. Your student profile can be created and submitted at any time of the year for review.
If you are interested in one of our graduate level certificate programs, please contact the department directly for more information.