International Undergraduate Transfer & Post Undergraduate Application Guide
Majors: There are more than 280 undergraduate majors offered at Kent State.
Preferred Application Deadlines: October 1 for Spring Semester; June 1 for Fall Semester
Late applications are accepted, but we recommend that international students apply as early as possible to allow time for pre-departure requirements.
Apply as a transfer student if you have attended a college or university after graduation from secondary school/high school. A student who has previously enrolled in any higher education institution cannot apply as a new freshman.
Transfer applicants should meet the minimum requirement of GPA ≥ 2.0 on a U.S. 4.0 scale. Check for specific majors' selective requirements. Students who want a particular program but do not meet the minimum requirements may be considered for the pre-major.
Transfer Application Process
1. Submit an online application and nonrefundable application fee of $70
2. Prepare application documents
- Passport Biographical Page
- English Language Proficiency Scores
- College transcript/detailed marksheets (Certified English translation and original language)
- College Graduation Certificate/Diploma if available (Certified English translation and original language)
If applicant has taken fewer than 12 semester hours:
- Secondary School Graduation Certificate/Diploma/Attending Certificate (Certified English translation and original language)
- Secondary School Transcripts/detailed marksheets (Certified English translation and original language)
- Additional documents if required *Check website for special majors' selective requirements
- Financial guarantee (bank statements) that show sufficient funds to cover educational expenses.
- Kent State University Financial Information Worksheet
*Financial documents are only required after acceptance.
3. Submission of all required documents to OGE
- Include the student's full name and Kent State ID when sending documents.
For faster processing, documents should be scanned as one multi-page PDF (the size of the PDF file should be within 5MB) and sent to the International Admissions Office through firstname.lastname@example.org Also, TOEFL scores must be submitted through ETS (institution code: 1367), SAT through College Board (institution code: 1367) and ACT (institution code: 3284) through ACT to be considered.
- If you attended a US institution, we must have official transcripts for admissions purposes. We cannot accept copies.
- Mailing the application is also acceptable for international applicants to the address provided:
Office of Global Education
Kent State University
106 Van Campen Hall
625 Loop Rd
Kent OH 44242 USA
4. Check Status
Please remember that it is your responsibility to check your application status to ensure that we have received all documents. You should allow 3 weeks for the status of your application to be updated, and please note that items sent to Kent State become the property of the university and will not be returned.
5. Provide final and official documents after arrival
For admission purposes, we accept scanned documents of international credentials. When an applicant is admitted, his/her final and official transcript and diploma should be brought to the International Admissions Office for verification. This should be done within the first semester (or the first module for ESL students). Otherwise, the student's account will be put on HOLD.
6. Course Descriptions
This will help your academic advisors evaluate your previous courses and add the credits toward your major here at Kent State University.
Transfer Student Information
- Transfer credit refers to the number of transferable credits or course equivalents earned at an accredited post-secondary institution that can be applied toward a degree program at Kent State University.
- International Admissions does the initial evaluation to determine what the equivalent credit hours and grades are, but it is the responsibility of the student to meet with an academic advisor to see how these courses fit into your major at Kent State. We cannot guarantee that all your credits will transfer to exact equivalents in your program.
- If possible, please bring course syllabi and course descriptions in English to make this process easier.
A Guide to Transferring International Credits
- The international student provides final and official transcripts to the International Admissions Office (106 Van Campen Hall)
- International Admissions completes a transfer credit evaluation and assigns general courses and USA credit hours to courses with USA grade D or better. No Basic English language courses will transfer.
- International Admissions sends the transfer credit evaluation to the Transfer Center (204 Schwartz Center), where the general courses and credit hours are entered on the student's advising record.
- Students receive an email when Step 3 is complete. A student then needs to meet with an academic advisor in the major to determine how the general credits fit into the major program at Kent State University.
- Once the transfer credit evaluation is complete, students will be notified through email. Unofficial transcripts and transfer credits can also be viewed through a student's Flashline account as described in the official acceptance letter.
A student who has received a baccalaureate degree from a college or university yet wishes to take additional undergraduate courses. There are two types of post-undergraduate applicants:
- Post-undergraduate degree-seeking applicants – individuals interested in seeking an additional bachelor’s degree.
- Post-undergraduate non–degree-seeking applicants – individuals just interested in taking additional undergraduate coursework.
Please Note: If you are a former Kent State University student who has not attended any other college or university since your prior enrollment, you do not need to reapply. Contact the Registrar’s Office at 330–672–3131 or visit the Admissions homepage of the Regional Campus you plan to attend.
Application Requirements and Processes are similar to Transfer applications. Please contact email@example.com if you would like to apply as a post-undergraduate.