When You Return

Returning to life at home can be an unexpectedly bumpy transition. A good way to cope with this is to keep your international experience alive and an active part of your daily life back home. In this section, we will cover information on re-entry events, utilizing your international experience during a job search, making sure your credit transfers back, and options for going abroad again!


 + Study Abroad Returnee Social +
Join us and other recent study abroad alumni for a pizza party social! Share stories, photos, and learn about how to connect your study abroad experience to career development!
 Wednesday, September 16th
 3:30-5:30 Eastway Center 1st Floor Lounge



While you may not have had a clear career direction at the time you decided to study abroad, learning the basics of how to market your study abroad experience and capitalize on your new international skills is a crucial step in distinguishing yourself from other job seekers and graduate school applicants. We've developed a Guide to Education Abroad & Career Development in order to help you process your experience and maximize its potential for career development.

 Learn how to:

 + List your study abroad experience on your resume
 + Incorporate study abroad into a cover letter
 + Synthesize your experience into talking points for an interview
 + Determine what employers are looking for in recent graduates

stay connected | study abroad alumni blog

+ Share photos
 + Check out ways to go abroad again
 + Learn more about career development
 + Read about jobs for study abroad alumni
 +  Review your program
 + Learn about volunteering abroad
 + And more!



Education Abroad Ambassadors – The Office of Global Education runs the Education Abroad Ambassadors program.  The Ambassador Program is meant to connect study abroad alumni with each other and with peers interested in studying abroad.  Contact Amber Cruxton (acruxton@kent.edu) for more information and/or to apply.

HOME SWEET HOME? | Reverse Culture Shock

Reverse culture shock is the reality of readjusting to life back home and discovering feelings of tension or discomfort after being adjusted to your recent "home" abroad. The more acculturated you were to your host country, the stronger you may feel reverse culture shock.

 How to cope with reverse culture shock:

Stay in contact with people you studied abroad with/people from your host country
+ Ask your Advisor about ways you can promote study abroad on campus
+ Make a photo album
+ Blog or journal about your experience
+ Keep traveling!