Section 7.4: Graduation
Each academic college awards one or more graduate degrees at commencement exercises in December, May and August. The graduation requirements for these degrees are outlined in the various college sections of the University Catalog. For commencement dates, refer to KSU’s academic calendar.
Graduate students applying for graduation should complete the online graduation application available by selecting Student / Resources / Graduation from the main menu in FlashLine by the published deadlines. The online graduate application is used for all degrees and certificate programs. If students fail to carry out the proper application procedures by the published deadlines, the degree will not be granted until the next graduation date. Application deadlines may be obtained from the Office of the University Registrar as well as from the various college and campus offices.
The student will ordinarily observe the following procedure in order to be eligible for the doctoral degree:
- Fulfill the credit requirements of the department/school in which the major work is done.
- Fulfill the residence requirements (if any).
- Satisfy the language or research tool requirements of the department/school.
- Pass the candidacy (comprehensive) examination in the field of the major subject.
- Carry out a suitable scholarly research or creative program.
- Write a dissertation that shows high attainment and creativity.
- Successfully defend the findings of the dissertation in public before a committee of the graduate faculty.
- Have registered for a minimum of 90 semester credits beyond the bachelor’s degree, or 60 credits beyond the master’s degree (registration for thesis, dissertation and research may be included in this total).
For eligibility for the Doctor of Podiatric Medicine degree, please refer to the college policies in the College of Podiatric Medicine section of the University Catalog.
APPLICATION FOR GRADUATION
Prospective graduates for degrees and certificates must complete the online application for graduation (available in FlashLine) by the following deadlines:
- December Graduation:
The application for a graduate degree or graduate certificate must be submitted by the Friday of the first week of the fall term in which graduation will occur.
- May Graduation:
The application for a graduate degree or graduate certificate must be submitted by the Friday of the first week of the spring term in which graduation will occur.
Candidates for the Doctor of Podiatric Medicine degree must meet all graduation requirements before June 30 immediately following the May graduation. Completion of program requirements after June 30 but before the conclusion of the calendar year will result in a December graduation. After December, candidates will not be eligible for graduation until the following May. Attendance at the graduation ceremony is required.
- August Graduation:
The application for a graduate degree (master’s, post-master’s or doctoral) or graduate certificate must be submitted by the Friday of the first week of the summer term in which graduation will occur.
Failure to adhere to the posted deadlines may result in a late fee. The Late Graduation Application form is accessible in the Student Tools and Courses tab in FlashLine. Exceptions to the policies above shall be made only by the respective academic college deans or their appointed representative, based upon unusual circumstances.