Blue & Gold Points of Pride
Dear Potential Residence Services Student Employee,
It is important to us that you know what to expect before joining the Residence Services staff team! With that in mind, please review the following and consider the commitment you are making prior to completing your Residence Services Student Employee Application.
Student employees in the Department of Residence Services are entrusted to represent the department and the Kent State University community. In doing so student employees must be professional and demonstrate positive interactions to support students, colleagues, and families.
Blue and Gold Points of Pride
Expectations for Residence Services Student Employees are outlined through Blue and Gold Points of Pride. The Blue and Gold Points of Pride are made up of three components – what you can expect from us, what is expected of you, and what you will learn while working for the department.
Student employees can expect from the department:
- Commitment to your success as a student
- Position specific training and development
- Ongoing feedback, support, and challenge from your direct supervisor
- Formal performance evaluation at least once a year
- Occasions to provide feedback on your direct supervisor and the department
- Department practice consistent with the expectations set forth in the Student Employee Handbook (available through Career Exploration and Development Office)
- Training and development opportunities beyond your specific role
- Inclusion in department-wide student staff social events
- Job specific expectations from your direct supervisor(s)
Student employees are expected to:
- Serve as a role model to students in the residence hall communities and understand that personal behavior on or off-campus may impact student employee status
- Collaboration with others to accomplish work tasks
- Be engaged, take initiative, and maintain appropriate level of customer service
- Manage their schedule, prioritize work tasks, and meet deadlines
- Utilize technology effectively as it relates to your position
- Exhibit pride and investment in your role
- Navigate and apply departmental protocol and processes to your work
- Assist in solving/improving problems or issues that arise
- Refer students to Kent State and/or local resources as appropriate
- Adhere to proper attire based on position
- Maintain personal hygiene
- Maintain office cleanliness
- Utilize direct supervisors for updates on current information or changes
- Communicate professionally via phone and e-mail
Student Employee Learning outcome:
The Department of Residence Services understands that all our student employees, regardless of their position, are working towards a career. Residence Services is committed to ensuring that our students are career ready. The National Association of Colleges and Employers (NACE) defines Career Readiness as: the attainment and demonstration of requisite competencies that broadly prepare college graduates for a successful transition into the workplace.
NACE has determined that specific competencies make an individual career ready. The Department of Residence Services has adopted these competencies because they fit with our own mission, vision, and values. The Department of Residence Services will ensure that each of our student employees will receive professional development in each competency area. The following list contains the NACE competencies that student workers will be developed in to prepare them for career readiness:
- Critical Thinking/Problem Solving: Exercise sound reasoning to analyze issues, make decisions, and overcome problems. The individual is able to obtain, interpret, and use knowledge, facts, and data in this process, and may demonstrate originality and inventiveness.
- Oral/Written Communications: Articulate thoughts and ideas clearly and effectively in written and oral forms to persons inside and outside of the organization. The individual has public speaking skills; is able to express ideas to others; and can write/edit memos, letters, and complex technical reports clearly and effectively.
- Teamwork/Collaboration: Build collaborative relationships with colleagues and customers representing diverse cultures, races, ages, genders, religions, lifestyles, and viewpoints. The individual is able to work within a team structure, and can negotiate and manage conflict.
- Digital Technology: Leverage existing digital technologies ethically and efficiently to solve problems, complete tasks, and accomplish goals. The individual demonstrates effective adaptability to new and emerging technologies.
- Leadership: Leverage the strengths of others to achieve common goals, and use interpersonal skills to coach and develop others. The individual is able to assess and manage their emotions and those of others; use empathetic skills to guide and motivate; and organize, prioritize, and delegate work.
- Professionalism/Work Ethic: Demonstrate personal accountability and effective work habits, e.g., punctuality, working productively with others, and time workload management, and understand the impact of non-verbal communication on professional work image. The individual demonstrates integrity and ethical behavior, acts responsibly with the interests of the larger community in mind, and is able to learn from their mistakes.
- Career Management: Identify and articulate one's skills, strengths, knowledge, and experiences relevant to the position desired and career goals, and identify areas necessary for professional growth. The individual is able to navigate and explore job options, understands and can take the steps necessary to pursue opportunities, and understands how to self-advocate for opportunities in the workplace.
- Global/Intercultural Fluency: Value, respect, and learn from diverse cultures, races, ages, genders, sexual orientations, and religions. The individual demonstrates openness, inclusiveness, sensitivity, and the ability to interact respectfully with all people and understand individuals’ differences.
The Department of Residence Services has a mission, vision and values that we believe are important and want to impart to all our student workers. Residence Services believes that as a result of being a Residence Services student employee, students will be able to state how their role connects to the mission of the department.
All the best as you begin your application progress!
Department of Residence Services