Connection Instructions (Wireless and Wired)
Wired or Wireless?
All residence hall students (except residents in Allerton Apartments) have access to the FlashZone wireless network. Residents in Allerton apartments will utilize a wired (Ethernet) connection. View the instructions for connecting your computer, mobile device or gaming/entertainment device to the campus network. For more information on the wireless network, please watch our wireless information video. Please note that wireless printing is not supported (you should connect your printer with a USB cable, available for purchase at The Tech Spot).
Reminder: The Cisco Clean Access software, used to connect in previous years, is no longer needed. If you are a returning student, you may uninstall Cisco Clean Access.
Wireless Routers, Switches and Hubs
Wireless routers and hubs/switches are permitted only in the Allerton Apartments for residents utilizing more than two connections. All other residence halls have FlashZone wireless access and do not require the use of a router, switch or hub. Please see this article for more information.
Connecting Multiple Devices
The FlashZone wireless network does not limit the number of devices connected at the same time. Residents in Allerton Apartments should follow the instructions listed here.
Troubleshooting Your Connection
- Remember, students in all residence halls except Allerton Apartments should connect to the FlashZone wireless network. Wired ports in your room are not active. If your device will not connect to wireless, please follow these instructions for requesting wired port access.
- Allerton residents should use the wired (Ethernet) connection. You may purchase an Ethernet cable at The Tech Spot or any electronics retailer.
- If you need help, please call 330.672.HELP (4357), visit support.kent.edu and submit a ticket or visit The Tech Spot @ ResNet in Tri-Towers Rotunda
- Operating System Security Updates
- Virus/Spyware Protection
- Protecting Your Computer
- Illegal Downloading and DMCA