HH 5 - Administrative Procedures | Kent State University

HH 5 - Administrative Procedures

5 - Administrative Procedures 

5.1 University Property

Theft, tampering or misuse of other’s personal or university property will result in disciplinary action. It is a violation of university and residence hall policy to remove furniture from lounges or public areas. Utensils, dishes and trays from University Dining Services cafeterias are not to be brought into the residence halls. Unauthorized removal of university property and supplies is considered to be in violation of university policy.

5.51 Community Billing: Damage to Common Areas

Students may be billed for damage to university property, whether by vandalism, horseplay or accident. All floor/community residents can collectively be held responsible for damages to public areas that cannot be attributed to specific individuals.

  1. If a residential floor or public area incurs damages, theft of Kent State University property, or excessive trash is left in the community space, an “intent to bill” notification will be posted on the floor/area.
  2. The “intent to bill” will notify floor residents of the charge for damages or extra cleaning. Students will have three days to ascertain the responsible individual(s) and communicate the responsible party’s identity to the Residence Services staff.
  3. If after three days no individual has claimed responsibility or been identified, the entire floor/community may be charged.
  4. The charge may immediately be placed on the students’ account with the university Bursar’s Office.
  5.  If an individual or floor wishes to appeal the damage charges, a letter must be submitted to the Assistant Director for Residential Communities within 48 hours of the assessment notification. Students should submit any documentation or proof with a letter of appeal, which clearly outlines why they believe they should not be billed for damage. Once the appeals are submitted, the Coordinator, Residential Communities or designee will review the information and make a decision that will be communicated to the involved resident(s).

5.2 Room Entry and Room Search Policy

  1. The guidelines outlined for entry and search at the university are intended for internal protection and control; however, nothing herein can limit the ability of a bona fide law enforcement or judicial agency from seeking and obtaining legal search warrants for use on the university campus. Section 3342-4-05.1 of the Kent State Policy Register shall govern the room entry and room search policy.
  2. Items considered “Abandoned Property” will be collected and inventoried by hall staff and turned into the Office of Safety & Security. The Office of Safety & Security will store abandoned property for a period of 30 days.
  3. Definitions:

    A: “Room entry” is defined as entrance to a student’s room to fulfill the duties of authorized personnel.

    B: “Room search” is defined as a formal seeking out of evidence for reasonable cause that one of the conditions for room search has been violated.

5.21 Conditions for Room Entry

  1. A student’s room may be entered to ensure maintenance and general repair within the student’s living area, in cases of emergency, for periodic health inspections, and after winter and spring break closings.
  2. There is a possibility that noise-related problems may exist in rooms when the occupant(s) is not in the area and cannot be contacted (e.g., an alarm clock or telephone continuously rings, electronic devices are left playing too loud). A situation such as this could create an undesirable environment for neighboring residents. In a situation such as this, staff members may enter the room to alleviate the problem in accordance with the Room Entry and Room Search Policy of Kent State University.
  3. When fire drills are in progress, the residence hall staff, to fulfill their responsibilities, may inspect rooms to ensure that the hall is vacant.
  4. Housekeeping staff enter student rooms in buildings where bathrooms are attached to student rooms for weekly cleaning.
  5. The following personnel shall be authorized to enter residence hall student rooms under the conditions prescribed above:

    A: Authorized professional and paraprofessional members of the Residence Services staff, including RAs

    B: Authorized members of the university maintenance and housekeeping staff.

    C: Authorized members of University Police Department.

    D: Non-university personnel contracted by Residence Services or an agent of Residence Services to perform maintenance or repair services.

5.22 Conditions for Room Search

Rooms will be searched only with reasonable cause. The occupant or occupants will be informed of the reasons for any room search. Room searches must be authorized by the Director of Residence Services or designee. Two basic situations may precipitate a room search:

  1. A clear indication that the established code of student conduct or health and safety regulations are being violated.
  2. An emergency situation that makes it necessary for a staff member to search a room for a particular item, such as a discarded prescription bottle or a particular telephone number or address.

5.23 Entry Protocol

No student room should be entered without knocking. Entry, following the knock, shall be preceded by a time lapse of sufficient duration to provide an occupant(s) with opportunity to open the door. This requirement shall also apply to maintenance personnel.

If it should be necessary under the conditions outlined for authorized university personnel or their agents to enter a room when an occupant is not present, the occupant(s) will be notified of the entry and the reason for the entry.

5.24 Confiscation of Illegal Items

The Department of Residence Services reserves the right to remove from the residence halls items that are illegal or create a substantial risk or harm to people and/or property. Items such as weapons, fireworks, illegal drugs, candles, incense, desk lamps or freestanding lamps containing halogen light bulbs, knives and toy guns such as BB guns or air soft guns are viewed as possessing such a substantial risk or harm and therefore are subject to confiscation in the residence halls. Residents may only possess pocket knives or basic cooking knives used for cooking purposes in the residence halls. All other knives will be subject to removal and confiscation from the residence hall. Confiscation of items is administered by the Office of Safety & Security with the exception of illegal items which is administered by Kent State Police Services.

5.25  Student Redress

A student who believes that room entry and/or room search policy has been violated may appeal directly to the Director of Residence Services. The appeal should be in written form and should be presented within 10 days of the actual occurrence. In the absence of the Director of Residence Services the Dean of Students will receive the appeal.

5.26  Room Inspection

Upon arrival each student must complete a Room Condition Report (RCR), commonly known as a room inspection, in collaboration with their respective RA. This is done in order to document the condition of the room itself, and items in the room. All residents of a room will be held mutually responsible for any damage, loss and custodial or maintenance work to that room or its furnishings unless individual responsibility for the damages can be clearly established. Each room is furnished according to the room capacity and no inventory changes will be permitted unless authorized by the Department of Residence Services.

Damage charges will be based upon the official Room Condition Report (RCR) AND a more thorough assessment of the room after all residents have moved out. The resident(s) must perform a final walkthrough of the room with the Residence Hall Director or their designee to establish the condition of the room upon moving out. If a student fails to have the room checked, he/she will be held accountable for any damages and charged accordingly. Students wishing to contest such charges must notify the department of Residence Services in writing within 30 days of receiving the bill. 

5.3 Bicycles

Any residence hall student bringing a bicycle on campus is urged to register it with their Residence Hall Director or the Office of Safety and Security. Bicycles may be kept only in authorized bicycle storage areas and in student rooms, with the approval of all occupants. The Residence Hall Director, Resident Assistant or area Security Aide can advise residents of the authorized storage area for the building. Bicycles found in non-authorized storage areas will be removed at the owner’s expense. Bicycles may not be chained to stairwells or block passage from the building. Riding bicycles in the residence hall is prohibited. Mopeds or any other gas-

powered bicycle may not be taken into the residence halls for any reason.

All bicycles are to be removed from storage areas or bike racks in conjunction with a student’s check-out process; bicycles that are left at the end of spring semester will be disposed of by the Department of Residence Services.

5.4 Sales and Solicitation

Door-to-door sales and solicitation in residence halls and academic and administrative buildings are expressly prohibited. An individual or group may not operate a business enterprise of any sort in the residence halls without the prior written approval of the Director of Residence Services. Solicitation is defined as any effort to ask for donations or contributions of money, goods or services.

Sales are defined as the efforts to offer a product or service in return for money, goods or other services with the intention for profit or service. Solicitation and sales strictly among the membership of a particular recognized student organization by members of that group do not come under this policy, but are governed by other university regulations. Refer to the university’s Policy Register or the Center for Student Involvement.

Though door-to-door sales and solicitation is prohibited, some sales and solicitation is allowed in certain designated areas. Please refer to the following guidelines:

Guidelines for sales and solicitation in designated residence hall areas

1. Sales/solicitation within any residence hall community areas or public lounges require application to and approval by the Assistant Director for Residential Communities or Associate Director at least 10 days in advance unless the Assistant Director for Residential Communities or Associate Director deems otherwise. An organization or individual may not sell or solicit on more than seven days in any month. Length of time on any given day will be determined by the Assistant Director for Residential Communities or Associate Director.

2. Any food sales must comply with the university’s guidelines for distribution of food.

5.41 Hall Council and Staff

A special note to hall councils and hall staff wishing to sell or solicit within their own residence halls: Any area within or designated as a particular residence hall’s space must be assigned and approved as the point of sale or solicitation by the Residence Hall Director.

This arrangement is available only to hall staff or hall governments with Residence Hall Director approval. Sales or solicitation to group membership only (sales or solicitations within a hall to its members only) do not require a permit from the Center for Student Involvement.

No door-to-door sales or solicitations will be permitted. This includes sliding materials under doors and/or placing information on or near any part of a student’s door. Any outside group or individual selling or distributing within the residence halls must be approved by the Associate Director of Residential Communities and must be escorted at all times.

5.5 University Liability

The university and the Department of Residence Services will not be responsible for any loss of or damage to the personal property of the student from any cause, nor will the university and the Department of Residence Services assume responsibility for any injury or damages, personal or property, while the student is a resident. Students should double check that all personal property has been removed from their rooms and adjacent areas (e.g., bike racks) when checking out of the residence hall. Any personal property left behind will be disposed of by Residence Services. Students are strongly encouraged to consider carrying some form of personal insurance if the family policy does not cover property while it is located at the university.

Revised August, 2017