International Village Experience
The International Village Experience brings together international and American students to live and learn in an environment supportive of cross-cultural interactions. It is an opportunity for students to live and study with students from around the world and to experience a multitude of cultures on a daily basis.
The International Village Experience (IVE) is located in Clark Hall on Kent State’s campus. IVE is designed for domestic and international students who desire to share their culture and experiences with students from other cultures through living together. Students interested in foreign languages, cultural studies, overseas study and travel, political science, and the various aspects of international relations or foreign policy may find IVE an ideal place to get some initial experience living and working with people from other cultures.
The Office of Global Education (OGE) works in collaboration with Residence Services to provide students living in the IVE with the follow services and social program opportunities:
- Participate in field trips sponsored by OGE – to the Cuyahoga Valley National Park, museums in Cleveland, West Side Market, Amish country, Niagara Falls, Washington D.C., and more!
- Experience Culture Nights, American Thanksgiving traditions, American Halloween traditions, holidays around the world
- Learn traditional dances, listen to international music selections and instrument demonstrations
- Learn how to read non-verbal cues across cultures through cultural sensitivity discussions
- Share ethnic food, traditional clothing, cultural artifacts, photos and stories from around the world
- Participate in community service activities
- Attend social Events (birthdays, international films, coffee hours, ice cream social, tie-dyeing, sledding, etc…)
The purpose of IVE is to provide a cross-cultural Living-Learning experience for students interested in broadening their understanding of world issues and cultures. This concept is strengthened by the expectation that its residents actively participate in the planning and organization of cross-cultural programming and activities that share their culture with students from other countries.
Programming and activities in this community will take on a multi-cultural feel. Students participating in this community will acquire insight into different cultures and maybe even some foreign vocabulary.
Who will be my roommate?
Students participating in this program are not guaranteed international or American roommates. Thus, students who join IVE may be paired with either an American roommate or an international roommate depending on roommate matching characteristics and availability at the time assignment to the community are made.
Requirements for admission:
The IVE is open to all majors at Kent State University. American and International students often view living in this community as an opportunity to further develop second language skills (English, French, German, Japanese, Chinese, Russian, Spanish, etc.)
Students who plan to graduate from Kent State and/or who plan to live on-campus for one full academic year will be given priority consideration to join this community.
How do I join?
New to Kent State students who are who are interested in participating in IVE should follow these steps:
- Select Clark Hall and IVE as your first choice on your residence hall application.
- If you have already completed and submitted your residence hall application and now want to make the necessary changes to join the community, you may re-enter your application by logging back into your application through the residence hall application website.
- If you need further assistance, or have questions about how to join the IVE please contact the community coordinator.
The Department of Residence Services will seek to accommodate all room requests. However, we cannot guarantee your request will be filled. Space is limited, so please apply early.
Eron Memaj, email@example.com
Office of Global Education Information: