Policies and Procedures


As a residential campus, Kent State University requires all single students enrolled for 9 or more academic credit hours to reside in the university's residence halls and participate in the food plan, because the residential experience is viewed as a part of the total university education. This requirement is applicable until:

  1. the student attains junior academic standing (60 semester or 90 quarter credit hours) at the start of fall semester;
  2. the student is 20 years of age at the start of fall semester;
  3. the student has lived in residence halls two or more years;
  4. the student commutes from the primary residence of the parent or legal guardian residing within 50 miles of the Kent Campus.


Kent State University affirmatively encourages diversity by providing opportunities to all students. The Department of Residence Services supports this commitment and recognizes the benefits that are derived from the inclusion of diversity in our residence halls. Residence Services actively encourages participation by members of underrepresented groups based on ethnicity, age, gender, religion, sexual orientation, disability or identification as a veteran in all our programs and activities.


If you wish to commute from the primary residence of your parent(s) or legal guardian, please fill out the Mandatory Housing Policy Exemption Form. Exemptions must be requested in writing and submitted to the Department of Residence Services. Students not granted an exemption prior to the first day of classes for the applicable semester and not living in campus housing will be considered in violation of the University Housing Policy.


We have ensured that the experience of living on campus at Kent State University is accessible to all our students. Special housing requests and room modifications are available for those with needs related to their disabilities. Wheelchair-accessible rooms are available in several halls, including a limited number with private bathrooms. Verification of disability status and eligibility for special housing arrangements are coordinated through the Office of Student Accessibility Services. All students requiring disability-related accommodations must register with the Office of Student Accessibility Services prior to the request being honored. To register, students must schedule an appointment to meet with a disability specialist and provide appropriate medical documentation of their disability. For more information, please contact the Office of Student Accessibility Services at 330-672-3391 or www.kent.edu/sas. Students are strongly encouraged to schedule this appointment and apply for housing as early as possible, as the number of accessible rooms is limited. Once students are living on campus, we encourage students to meet with their residence hall director for any questions related to accessibility or accommodations.


Residence Services strives to provide comfortable and safe housing accommodations for all students, including students who prefer gender-inclusive housing.

Students may request gender-inclusive housing on their housing application. Priority is given to students who notify housing staff that they prefer or are open to gender-inclusive housing.

Gender-inclusive housing options are available across campus. Gender-inclusive housing consists of rooms where students can live with any student – regardless of sex, gender, gender identity or expression. The halls/floors available for gender-inclusive housing are dictated by the designated gender makeup and the bathroom configuration in each community. Housing staff can assist students in identifying the hall that works best for their individual needs. The halls included offer single rooms, same-gender roommates, opposite- gender roommates, or other gender-identity pairings. Students requesting gender-inclusive housing who do not have a specific roommate or hall preference are generally assigned to Korb Hall.

If a student wishes to live in gender-inclusive housing but does not have a particular roommate in mind, the assignment staff will assign a random roommate or identify a single room option. A random roommate pairing is based on availability of students interested in gender-inclusive housing.

Students interested in gender-Inclusive housing should indicate their preference on their housing application. Students are encouraged to contact the associate director of residential communities [ph. 330-672-2520], the associate director who oversees assignments [ph. 330-672-1223], and/or the director of the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Gay Student Center [ph. 330-672-8580] to discuss their assignment. The process is confidential and staff will not ask for any more information than is required to meet students’ housing needs. If students indicate gender-inclusive housing on their housing application and do not contact housing staff, staff may reach out to the student directly to discuss their needs.

Gender-inclusive housing is offered based on:

  • availability
  • the student’s compliance with published procedures and timetables for applications and contract renewals.

Housing assignments are made on a case-by-case basis, recognizing the variability of individual needs and preferences, as well as the fact that appropriate accommodations may be limited in number.