Duties/essential functions may include, but not be limited to, the following:
- Train, supervise, and evaluate a team of 8-17 Resident Assistants and, in some cases, an Assistant Residence Hall Director (graduate assistant).
- Assist and advise students in matters related to academic support, crisis intervention, referral, programming, discipline, routine conflicts, personal development, and leadership opportunities.
- Advise hall council (hall government), including matters of budget, policy, and programming.
- Implement a variety of initiatives and activities that address the needs of students in a diverse living-learning environment.
- Provide on-going training and staff development activities for student staff.
- Participate in and attend student staff training programs, selection processes and other programs sponsored by the residential community area and/or department.
- Support, implement, enforce, and interpret University policies and procedures.
- Assist with recruitment and retention presentations and programs for current and prospective students and parents.
- Maintain office hours and on-call coverage to provide assistance to students and staff.
- Assume leadership and/or participate on departmental committees and task forces.
- Attend required residential community meetings and training programs.
- Initiate, support, and collaborate in the creation and ongoing administration of learning communities, and other academic initiatives.
- Coordinate and supervise timely completion of all appropriate paperwork and reports including, but not limited to student conduct processes, academic initiatives, programming paperwork, room condition reports, weekly reports, no-show information, and room/hall changes.
- Fulfill all responsibilities associated with the opening and closing of the residence halls in accordance with outlined procedures and instructions.
- Assist with establishing goals and priorities for the Department of Residence Services.
- Fulfill responsibilities for collateral assignments as outlined by supervisors throughout the year and during break periods (e.g., assistance with other offices, preparation for fall training and summer conferences/break housing).
- Serve as the communication link with students and other areas of the department and university.
- Assume additional responsibilities and perform special tasks as assigned.
The intent of this description is to illustrate the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given this title and should not be interpreted to describe all the specific duties and responsibilities that may be required in any particular position. Directly related education/experience beyond the minimum stated may be substituted where appropriate at the discretion of the Appointing Authority. Kent State University reserves the right to revise or change job duties, job hours, and responsibilities.