Kent State SLIS at ALAO Annual Conference
Kent State University School of Library and Information Science will be well represented at the Academic Library Association of Ohio (ALAO) annual conference on Friday, Nov. 20. SLIS Associate Professor Miriam Matteson, Ph.D., will be there as a presenter and at our vendor table. Many of our alumni and students are presenting as well. (See details below.)
Alumni, students, colleagues and friends are invited to stop by our table to meet Dr. Matteson and pick up free promotional items!
- Brian C. Gray, M.L.I.S. '04
- Support Staff Presenter Grant winner - M.L.I.S. student Jennifer Rice
- ALAO Diversity Scholarship winner - M.L.I.S. student Kristen Zajac
2015 Conference Planning Committee
- Christina Bonner, M.L.I.S. ‘13
- Judith Cerqua, M.L.I.S. ‘05
- Jessica DeCaro, M.L.I.S. ‘09
- Shelly Miller, M.L.I.S. ‘11
- Ann Marie Smeraldi, M.L.I.S. ’06
Session One – 10 a.m.
- Instruction Beyond the Classroom: Rethinking the Typical One Shot - Sara Klink, M.L.I.S. ‘04
- Leading the Way: Leadership Styles in Student Management - Ann Marie Smeraldi, M.L.I.S, ’06, with Amanda Koziura, Case Western Reserve University, and Gwen Short, The College of Wooster
- Today’s Undergraduates…Tomorrow’s Library Directors! - M.L.I.S. student Kirsten Setzkorn, with Julie Deardorff, Austin Becton, Allison Jensen and Rebekkah Reisner, Cedarville University
- Navigating the Future of Instruction with Non-Traditional Topics – Alumna and part-time instructor Sharon Holderman, M.L.I.S. ‘07
Session Two – 11 a.m.
- FRBR-Family User Tasks: A Model for Framing Bibliographic Data within the World of Research and Innovation - Rocki Strader, M.L.I.S. ‘01
- Let The Librarians Drive: Giving Directions through Horizontal Leadership - Joshua Neds-Fox, M.L.I.S. ’03, with Michael Priehs and Katrina Rouan, Wayne State University
- Supporting Students Beyond the Research Paper: Building the Studio - Bo Baker, M.L.S. ’82, with Emily Thompson, University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
- Tiny Library, Big Impact: Local Leadership on $9.25 or Less - Tina Schneider, M.L.S. ’99, with Calvin Cleary, The Ohio State University at Lima
Posters – 1 p.m.
- Selling the Stream: Getting the Word Out on Digital Media, 1 p.m. - M.L.I.S. student Jennifer Rice and alumna Cindy Kristof, M.L.S. ‘95
- Leveraging Expertise and Bibliometrics to Promote Open Access Journal Publications – A Case Study - Mark Eddy, M.L.I.S. ’05, with Daniela Solomon, Case Western Reserve University
- DIY Outreach: Bridging Communities with a Zine Collection, 1 p.m. - Samantha Davis, M.L.I.S. ’14, with Leslie Jankowski, Columbus College of Art & Design
- The Effects of Authentic Leadership on Psychological Capital - M.L.I.S. student Phil Willke
- Everyone’s Business: Supporting Responsible Data Management as a Key Information Literacy Competency - M.L.I.S. student Krystina Zeit
- Soft Skills in Academic Librarianship - M.L.I.S. student Lorien Anderson, Associate Professor Miriam Matteson, Ph.D., and alumna Cynthia Boyden, M.L.I.S. ‘13
Session Three – 2:10 p.m.
- Reap What You Sow: Connecting Library Service Data to University Learning Outcomes - Sue Polanka, M.L.S. ’95, with Mandy Shannon and Jason Lipiec, Wright State University
Session Four – 3:10 p.m.
- Building Successful Communication with English Language Learners - Jessica Long, M.L.I.S. ’08, with Elizabeth Boucek, Miami University - Middletown Campus