Getting Started in Graduate Study in SLIS
Thank you for choosing to study in the School of Library and Information Science at Kent State University.
Our dynamic degree programs provide a foundation for professionals in information careers who will successfully:
- interpret, adapt and enhance the environments where people create and interact with information;
- analyze, engage and enrich communities in all forms and empower individuals by understanding their needs and connecting them to information and knowledge;
- sustain, organize, synthesize and transform information to make it accessible to individuals and communities.
Start by connecting with your advisor, who is listed in your admission letter from the School. Then explore the tools you’ll be using throughout your time as a SLIS student, including the university’s FlashLine portal; Blackboard Learn, the online “classroom”; and the SLIS Student Advising Center. You’ll find links to these below.
FlashLine is the university portal that gives you access to your online classes, account, registration processes and any other tools you need for success in graduate school. Browse Flashline before your classes start to make sure you can connect and are ready to go at the start of the semester.
Online courses will be delivered online through Blackboard Learn, Kent State's virtual classroom management system. Students receive course content, submit assignments, complete exams and interact with the instructor and other students through Blackboard.
Tutorials and other resources are available for first-time users of Blackboard. If you are encountering problems with your access or the system, contact the university Helpdesk at 330-672-HELP (4357).
SLIS Student Advising Center
Now that you have informed us of your decision, you will be added to our online SLIS Student Advising Center. This advising center is located in Blackboard Learn, the same place where you will access your online classes. You will receive a welcome message once you have been added.
The SLIS Student Advising Center has everything you should need to be successful through your program, including:
- An orientation section that guides you through getting started;
- Direct access to your advisor (you are placed in the appropriate group within the Advising Center);
- Forms needed for registration, or requests for changes to your program;
- A guide to program planning;
- Registration resources, including instructions, waitlisting for closed courses, and course rotations;
- Information on completing the programs through final requirements;
- School announcements to help you stay on track.
If you have questions, please don't hesitate to contact us at email@example.com or 330-672-2782.