The following information applies to all students pursuing the K-12 school library media licensure, whether for the Master of Library and Information Science (M.L.I.S.) specialization, as part of the M.L.I.S.- Master of Education with K-12 licensure option, or for the K-12 school library media licensure-only option.
You'll find the most current course descriptions in the online course catalog maintained by the Division of Graduate Studies.
- To get to course descriptions in the online catalog: select the appropriate Catalog Year (middle of the page) > then select Course Information (left navigation) > Course Description Search > under "Search by Term" select appropriate semester > select Subject (Library and Information Science, etc.) > then click Get Courses at the bottom of that page.
- LIS = Library and Information Science
- C&I = Curriculum and Instruction
- EPSY = Educational Psychology
- ITEC = Instructional Technology
- SEED = Secondary Education
- SPED = Special Education
- To see program requirements, list of faculty, etc., in the online catalog, select the appropriate Catalog Year (middle of the page) > select Browse by College (lower middle of the page), and follow appropriate links (College of Communication and Information) from there.
For planning purposes, the course rotation sheet linked below indicates library and information sciences courses and the semester(s) in which these courses are typically offered. Schedules are subject to change.
- Library and Information Science Course Rotations (Fall 2014-Summer 2017)
- Instructional Technology Graduate Program Rotation (for students in the K-12 School Library Media program)
SCHEDULE OF CLASSES
For the most current course and workshop schedule, visit the Registrar's Schedule of Classes search page. (Note: This is a "view only" option. Once you have been admitted to the program, you will go into FlashLine to register for classes.)
- When you get to this schedule search page, you will first select the appropriate semester under "Search by Term," then choose Detailed Class Search.
- To look at all of the courses and workshops offered, select Subject: Library and Information Science and Level: Graduate. (Under "Campus" options on the Detailed Class Search page, there is no need to make a selection. All iSchool courses and workshops will be listed under the Kent Campus regardless of the class location.)
- Click on the Class Search option at the bottom of the page to see a list of all LIS courses and workshops. Workshops will be at the top of the list.
- On the Schedule of Classes search page, location information has been added for the non-Kent sites as follows:
- WEB COURSE = course is entirely online; no classroom meetings
- COLUMBUS OH SITE = State Library of Ohio in Columbus
- OFF-CAMPUS SITE = another site other than Kent Campus or State Library of Ohio
- Pay attention to the detailed information text at the bottom of some courses. It will provide additional information about class locations, courses with registration criteria or required special approval, and recommended prerequisites.
- By clicking on the course number/section, you will find a list of any prerequisite courses.
- The Registration Deadlines column at the far right will show you:
- Section Start Date
- Section End Date
- Last Day to Add
- Last Day to Drop
- Last Day to Withdraw
- Percentage of Tuition Credit if the course is dropped