Master of Library and Information Science Curriculum
- Check out the Course Descriptions and Schedules page to find out how to search the online catalog and schedule of courses.
- Discover the School's 14 areas of specialization, or consult with your advisor about creating the career path that's best for you.
Curriculum Revisions, 2016
- Students admitted for Fall 2016 and later: The curriculum described below applies ONLY to students admitted for Fall 2016 and later.
- Students admitted for Summer 2016: Please consult with your advisor about which classes you should take first to prepare for the new core curriculum, which goes into effect in Fall 2016.
- Students enrolled before Fall 2016: Please continue to follow the curriculum in place when you began the program.
Core Curriculum (12 credit hours)
The core curriculum below goes into effect in Fall 2016. Please see instructions above to determine if this applies to you.
Core courses are offered every fall and spring semester, and as needed during summer sessions.
- LIS 60010 The Information Landscape (2 credits)
- LIS 60020 Information Organization (2 credits)
- LIS 60030 People in the Information Ecology (2 credits)
- LIS 60040 Information Institutions and Professions (3 credits)
- LIS 60050 Research and Assessment in Library and Information Science (3 credits)
Electives (21 credit hours)
- Choose elective courses from any of the School's 14 LIS specializations.
- You may also choose electives from the Master of Science programs, in consultation with your academic advisor:
- You may also select electives from among the special topics courses in:
Final Requirements (4 to 7 credits)
- LIS 60280 Master’s Portfolio in Library and Information Science (1 credit; required of all M.L.I.S. students)
Choose one of following (3 to 6 credit hours):
- LIS 60092 Master’s Internship in Library and Information Science (3)
- LIS 60098 Master’s Project in Library and Information Science (3)
- LIS 60198 Master’s Research Paper in Library and Information Science (3)
- LIS 60199 Thesis (6)
Note: Students in the K-12 school library media specialization will take LIS 60792 Culminating Practicum in K-12 Libraries.