M.L.I.S. Admissions FAQs | School of Information | Kent State University

What should be included in the writing sample?

Your writing sample will demonstrate your readiness for graduate level work. Please read the prompt carefully and completely answer it using proper punctuation and grammar with clear and succinct writing. The writing should be properly cited using the style of American Psychological Association (APA). 

How is my overall undergraduate grade point average (GPA) determined?

If you have only attended one undergraduate institution, your final GPA will appear on your degree transcript. If you have attended more than one undergraduate institution, your GPA will be based on all undergraduate courses you have taken before and after completing your degree. If you have earned graduate credits at more than one institution, a graduate GPA will be calculated in the same manner.

Which transcripts do I need to submit?

You must request a transcript from any academic institution(s) at which you earned eight (8) or more credits. If your total undergraduate GPA is less than 3.0, it is to your advantage to submit transcripts for any graduate courses you have completed, regardless of the number of credits earned.

Who should write my letters of recommendation?

Three letters are needed and should be written by professors or senior-level employers who can estimate how well you will do in graduate-level coursework, including the rigors of researching and writing. Other possible writers can include employers and heads of organizations with whom you have volunteered. Personal friends, clergy and family members are not appropriate recommenders.

What makes a good letter or recommendation?

The content should focus on your academic capabilities (e.g., problem solving and analytical skills), communication skills and potential for the profession rather than the ability to be efficient in the workplace. The letter should be on company/institution letterhead and include the date and signature of the recommender. The recommender should include how long and in what capacity they know you. 

Do I have to take the GRE (Graduate Record Exam)?

Applicants are required to take the GRE only if their total GPA from the highest completed degree is less than a 3.0. Note that total GPA includes grades for all courses taken at the relevant level (baccalaureate or master's) at all institutions.

Do I need library experience to apply to the M.L.I.S. program?

No. Prior experience working in a library is not needed for admission.

Do I need to submit TOEFL scores?

The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) is required of all international applicants whose education has been primarily outside of the United States of America. Some exceptions apply, so please visit the website of the Office of Global Education at Kent State University.

How long does it take to receive a decision about my admission to the program?

Your application packet is not considered complete until the application, all letters of recommendation, the writing sample, the statement of purpose, a current resume or curriculum vitae, transcripts, and if required, standardized test scores and the statement of exception have been received. Questions about the status of documents for the application should be addressed to gradapps@kent.edu. Once your application is complete, the file is reviewed by the department, and you can expect to receive a decision in approximately two to three weeks. In cases where applicants are being considered for conditional admission, the process may take additional time.

Can I apply for the K-12 School Library Media concentration if my teaching credentials are outside of Ohio?

Before applying, students whose teaching credentials are outside of Ohio should contact the Ohio Board of Education for information on how to obtain their Ohio teaching certification. This does not include students who are concurrently working on their initial Ohio teaching licensure at the time they apply for the K-12 School Library Media specialization through iSchool. Students not wanting Ohio licensure but wanting licensure in their own state should consult their own state requirements for reciprocity.