M.L.I.S. + K-12 School Library Media Licensure
This 37 credit-hour option is only for students who already have a teaching credential and would like to obtain the Master of Library and Information Science and K-12 licensure in school library media.
Adding the M.L.I.S. to the licensure gives you many more options for employment with other types of libraries and information agencies. Coursework includes both library science and instructional technology classes.
Required Courses (24 credit hours)
M.L.I.S. Core Courses (12 credit hours)
- LIS 60010 The Information Landscape (2 credits)
- LIS 60020 Information Organization (2 credits)
- LIS 60030 People in the Information Ecology (2 credits)
- LIS 60040 Information Institutions and Professions (3 credits)
- LIS 60050 Research and Assessment in Library and Information Science (3 credits)
School Library Media Courses (12 credit hours)
- LIS 60630 Reference Sources and Services for Youth
- LIS 60624 Cataloging for School Libraries
- LIS 60607 School Library Management
- LIS 60618 Information Literacy Initiatives and Instructions
Electives (9 credit hours)
- Your advisor will provide a list of approved LIS and instructional technology courses.
Final Requirements (4 credit hours)
- LIS 60792 Culminating Experience: Practicum in K-12 libraries (3 credits)
- LIS 60290 Master’s Portfolio in Library and Information Science (1 credit)