M.S. Health Informatics Curriculum
Requires 36 credit hours, as follows:
- Core curriculum = 6 credit hours (2 courses)
- Required courses = 15 credit hours (5 courses)
- Elective courses = 12 credit hours (4 courses; may be taken in another IAKM concentration — knowledge management or user experience design)
- Culminating experience = 3 or 6 credit hours
Each course is seven weeks in length, with two courses taken sequentially each semester. This allows you to focus on one course at a time while still completing your program in two years.
All courses are online.
Note: Courses below are marked with the semesters in which they are usually offered. Schedules are subject to change, but this serves as a guideline for how a student might progress through the program.
Core Curriculum (6 credit hours)
- IAKM 60001 Information Architecture and Knowledge Management in Context – substitute IAKM 60414 Human Factors and Usability in Health Informatics
- IAKM 60002 Knowledge Organization Structures, Systems, and Services (spring)
Required Courses (15 credit hours)
- IAKM 60401 Health Informatics Management (fall, spring)
- IAKM 60402 Legal Issues in Health Information Management (spring)
- IAKM 60403 Health Information Systems (fall, spring)
- IAKM 60410 Health Records Management (fall)
- IAKM 60301 Foundational Principles of Knowledge Management (fall, spring, summer)
Electives (12 credit hours)
Choose 12 credit hours from the following:
- IAKM 60411 Clinical Analytics (summer)
- IAKM 60412 Clinical Decision Support (spring)
- IAKM 60413 Change Management In Health Informatics
- IAKM 60414 Human Factors and Usability in Health Informatics (fall)
- IAKM 60415 Health Informatics Inquiry and Assessment (spring)
- IAKM 60105 Information Technologies
- IAKM 60311 Business Process Management (summer)
- IAKM 60195 Special topics courses in health informatics
You may also select electives from other IAKM concentrations (knowledge management or user experience design), after consulting with your academic advisor to determine which courses best meet your career goals.
Final Degree Requirement (3+ credit hours)
Select one option from the following (3 credit hours minimum):
- IAKM 61081 Capstone Experience/Internship (3)
- IAKM 61098 Master’s Project (3)
- IAKM 61199 Master's Thesis (6 credits), for individuals interested in pursuing a Ph.D.
- Read health informatics course descriptions. (Course descriptions are also available and searchable through the online university catalog during the term in which they are offered.)
- Download a Sample Program of Study based on the current rotation of courses.
- Download the Health Informatics Master of Science Advising Sheet.